TMC AquaRay AquaBeam LED Lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The TMC AquaRay AquaBeam 500 modular LED light fixtures have been out for some time now. Are you using it or know someone that is? Let us know! :ears:

[​IMG]
    TMC AquaRay AquaBeam 500 LED Fixtures

( Here is a sneak peak of the upcoming AquaRay AquaBeam 1000 coming out very soon. )

Looking at the PR page from TMC, the AquaRay AquaBeam 500 has the usual pros to date with LED lamps - long life - up to 10 years of aquarium use, low voltage and cool running temps and some new ones like waterproof design, optional rail mounts and digital compatibility for soon coming timers and dimmers.

Worth noting:

"Highest useable and visible output of light per unit of energy consumed (all visible and directed). Tests have shown that a 12w AquaBeam produces up to 33% more illumination at 50cm than a 24w compact fluorescent aquarium fitting."

That sounds great. However, have you seen them on typical reef aquariums that are fairly deep yet? How is the coral growth? :-/ Would we be surprised?

Please share your experience with the TMC AquaBeam LEDs!

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

my LFS has a dipslay tank (standard 55G) with these on. Theyre keeping LPS in it, everything from elegance to favites etc.. I've been monitoring the tank now 6 months, good growth and everything looks great still - i cant see any signs of anything dying.

Id like to add that the shimmer is amazing, much better then any halide and the colour temp is great! They have recently changed one of their stock tanks (the one with leather corals for sale) to LEDS. Obviously things sell too quickly to monitor in this tank, but i am outstanded as to how these lights make the coral look so much prettier - the colour balance between white and blue really is amazing. Shame they are 100 GBP a strip, at the moment i cant justify electrical and bulb savings to fork out so much money for these.

I think i rambled on enough now. .........

PS Kiarah uses these inconjunction with 2 T5s. I believe she loves them.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I can't seem to find a link to find pricing / place to purchase.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

TMC is english - search on google UK, you will find lots then.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Ah. Thanks, looks like they're all over ebay UK too. Doesn't seem like the pricing is too bad. I was considering a frag tank, maybe I'll drop one of these on there after a bit more resarch.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great post. Thanks for the info! If you get a chance to take pics at your LFS, post them here - that would be great!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is a video taken of an aquarium with the TMC AquaRay:

Hat-tip to scootch! :cool3:

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

TMC AquaRay LED Videos

A couple more!

11. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes i have them in my tank & i do love them! but when i posted on here about them i got quite a negative view from others about them saying i was pushing my views onto others! but what the heck i think they are fab! My tank glitters with good surface movement they produce great 'rays' off light, they are a bargin to buy & super cheap to run. My mushroom palp, ridacorda went into overdrive when i added they aquaray lights & made loads off babys which spread right across my tank within 3 months..... it was like my tank came to life& started to look like a natural reef! I LOVE THEM HA!:yelrotflm
    Kiarah

P.s if you go to my album pics you can see how i fitted them to my hood

12. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

They cost me £280 for 4 led lighting strips but that was when they were quite new out & not many people were willing to use them and they didnt have a fixing bar for them but i think the price may have gone up now & they now do extras like fixture bars.
    Oh yeh & my tank is silly deep!