Titanium Grunding Probes

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by cmontana, Nov 28, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cmontana

cmontana Plankton

Is a grounding probe necessary for every tank, or just a "spend-your-money-with-us" gadget?

I've heard both negative and positive feedback about such devices...

What do you think? Should I get one, or not?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If it can save your life an under $20 bucks I would not think twice.

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Wouldn't it be just as safe and easier to run everything off powerstrips with breakers?
    I don't know? I don't have a probe should I get one or is the method described above o.k?

5. cmontana

cmontana Plankton

Well, here is what I have read here and there...

Because of the amount of electrical devices submerged in a tank, some electrical charge may "leech" into the water, mostly by induction, sometimes by direct contact -- as in the case of a faulty heater of powerhead.

A grounding probe will protect you against electrical shock, as Nautilus mentionned. That's no small consideration :)

Some people also say electrical tension in your tank will negatively affect fish, render them agressive or hyperactive, and might even make them sick by interfering with their lateral-line sensory system.

Other people say the electrical tension in a tank is just that: tension. It is no an actual flowing current and thus doesn't affect the fish. A grounding probe, by providing a path for the electrical charge to travel out of the tank, converts this tension into flowing current, thus creating a problem that didn't exist before.

My intuition tells me to opt for personal safety and get one a grounding probe. I was just wondering is anyone had first-hand experience with them.

Thanks for your replies.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[move]Yes I currently use a titanium grounding probe![/move]

I have never been shocked but have heard from people that have been.

Lets look at another option here. If electric current is leaking into the tank then your equipment if as fault and the reefers fault.

The reefer should check all equipment at-least once a month and clean it if needed. I know I am a little lazy and short of time so until I get shocked or visually see something wrong I will never know about the problem.
    One can do with out a probe I just select not too.

7. Cygnus

Cygnus Plankton

I have also read that the grounding probe is not the best idea for the fish as you get a streaming current in the tank. Isn't it better to put all electronics on a GFCI ?

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

The argument will go on forever and ever.
    I don't use a GFCI but have many surge protectors and a probe.
    The thing about GFCI's it that once tripped you better be there to fix asap or you could lose everything in the tank.

As far as the fish go IMO it is better to have the probe taking out the current if any then to let it stay in the tank and harm something including yourself.
    Use a probe in IMO and keep checking equipment regularly.

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

what is GFCI?

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. Cygnus

Cygnus Plankton

GFCI = Ground Fault Current Interrupter

See here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm

The difference between using a GFCI and a probe is that the probe constatntly leads away leaking electricity as it leaks, while the GFCI cuts the powersupply totally when current goes above a certain threshold.

But I agree with Nautilus that it's a big minus to cut all the power, but as there was someone at home where I had my tank 24hrs/day I did not see that as a problem for me at the time. I disconnected the GFCI when I went on vacation.