Tips to Save $$$

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by reefmonkey, Jul 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You're exactly right. These same principals apply to every day life as well. The point I am expressing is that it isn't always necessary to have the most expensive light fixture to have success keeping a reef and you hit it right on the when you verified shopping around for good used items. The way I look at this hobby is that it took me 8 months to get to where my tank is today, what's a few more days or weeks. Shop for that bargain, don't buy the first item you come across. When you rush here you most likely crash and crash broke.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Great write up!! K+ for you buddy.. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thank you!

1 person likes this.
  5. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

thanksfor the write up RM. unfortunatly i ordered my lights b4 i joined so i got an odyssea 4xT5.100$ seemed like a great deal! now i need new bulbs, have to make my own legs and have to deal with a crap reflector. no idea what ballast it has either...or how long b4 its gone. the 300$ for brand name and quality seems worth it now.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Bravo reefmonkey! agreed on everything. +1

1 person likes this.
  7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Excellent Write up! K+ for sure!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Excellent write up!

It's all true as I've made some of these blunders myself. Especially lighting. 3 light fixtures later and I finally have a decent one. Nothing worse than trying to be cheap with lights. :furious2:

1 person likes this.
  10. Unaidedsoul

Unaidedsoul Astrea Snail

Great post! I very much enjoyed the read!

It seems that there might me a typo, I got confused for a second while reading the coral section. well, until I realized you meant frags.

;D

1 person likes this.
  11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Noted and corrected. Actually I should have capitalized "the" to emphasize my meaning and maybe it would have made more sense. ;D Thank you for the compliment and glad you enjoyed it.

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

LOL I'm not going to start another great Odyssea debate but I'll tell you that IF you ever need a ballast for yours send me a PM. I have a one that didn't get hurt in the "fire". LOL Seriously I do and I'll sell it to you cheap if you ever need it. After the mishap I was going to switch the ballasts and reflectors to IceCap. I wasn't even able to do that because the pin configuration on their wiring harnesses isn't standard, plus there wasn't room to put 4 SLR's in. So I sent all the IceCap stuff back and used the credit to get my Nova Extreme Pro.

1 person likes this.