Tips to Save $$$

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by reefmonkey, Jul 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Amen! When I first started out I tried to save money on my lights and some other necessary equipment. None of it lasted more than a couple months. If I had only known then what I do now. ;

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great write up

1 person likes this.
  4. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

This is a great thread. I will be much more informed when I start my 90 gallon reef.

Brian

1 person likes this.
  5. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

The great thing about this hobby is there is always something new to learn

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks!

7. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

You should write a book. No joke I wish I would of know this 3 years ego when I started my first 29g tank. I spent at least 1,000 on my stupidity and trying to be cheap. By one time and buy it right. DIY is grate also, and that feeling that you get when it actually works is awsome! Sometimes I think I am a rocket scientist when my DIY's work :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

LOL don't be to hard on yourself. Experience is the best instructor and all of those words come from it. I know how you feel when it comes to DIY too. I have a little song and dance I do when something works like it was imagined. LOL

10. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Really nice writeup......so true man....so many people rush, spend money 2-3 times on the same things by trying to go cheap at first.

I think we've all done it....

1 person likes this.
  11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I hope it helps someone not to do it. I also want to get new comers to think about saving money in any way they can without compromising quality.

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Good write up.
    I have a friend who consistently compromises quality to get a cheaper initial price but refuses to see that by cutting corners in quality she ends up paying way more in having to get either repairs or a new item.
    All she needed to do was buy a quality product on sale or used. There are always those that have more $ and the desire for the latest and greatest so they sell off their gently used item.

1 person likes this.