Tips For Aquascaping Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by SuperScro, May 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

I spent the past few days, a few hours on each... attempting to re-arrange my rock, to get a more suitable rock layout before I add anything else to the tank, as far as fish and corals go. The look I have now is 50/50 the way I want it. I like the way I was working to, except it doesn't quite suite what i want. The problem is that most of my rocks are large and bulky, difficult to stack. I have a couple smal pieces of neatly shaped ones, but they don't do much when the other pieces don't work out well.

The idea I was trying to work on was to place a rock pile on each side of the tank, to make a mountain slope or some sort, sloping towards the center of the tank. This was impossible to create do to rock sizes and shape. My rocks were to big and bulky so stack up towards the air and to create a slope. I attempted to make the slope on one side of the tank, which worked a little better, but not quite ready. I plan on buying some lava reef rock to help build with it, plus its really porous.

Anybody have tips or ideas they could suggest to me? I experiment a lot, but usually it doesn't lead anywhere.

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

why not make rock pillars?

1 person likes this.
  4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I wouldn't use the lava rock if it is SW. I can't remember why, but its bad :(

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Don't use the Lava rock because it has minerals in it that does not go good in your tank. If the LR you have is too big take it outside with a hammer and break it up, then set it back in your tank.

7. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

Thanks on the warning for the Lava rock, definatly will put that out, and to think I almost bought it before..

Anyways, I can attempt to make pillars, but they wouldn't reach real high. I could try that.

I also never thought of breaking the rock up with a hammer. I figured that i would damage everything living inside and outside of the rock. It would be a good idea, except I need to hope the rock breaks up into pieces I want. A few of my rocks are extremely difficult to build with, so breaking them up seems like a good idea right about now.

Will keep updated.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Your best bet to offer you and your livestock the best way possible for water flow between your rocks and detritus removal and decreased accumulation between the rockwork is to have caves and gaps between your rocks and try avoiding the rock wall biotope and rocks lined up against the back of your glass. Atolls, and island type set-ups are a nice alternative to the wall style, that isn't very beneficial and may be a detriment to your tank as well!

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

hammer and chisel homie or break out a drimmel

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

you can pick up generic dremmel knock offs pretty cheap from harbor freight

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Never thought about a Dremmel, you could drill some holes close to the point you want the rock to break, like scoring a piece of tile before you snap it, then hit it with a chisel close to the outline of holes you made. If your afraid you'll loose something in the rock, set up a tub of RO/DI water and buffer it to try to get it up to at least 8 pH. Then dunk the rock for a bit and wait for the inverts to come out. Then put the inverts in a saltwater bucket with an airstone to keep them alive or throw them back in your tank. Then smash the heck out of the rock......take some anger out...:mad: ;D