Tiny white bugs

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jay, Aug 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Jay....

Are you still trying to post your tank info???
    Under profile, if you put it all in the Sig box, there is plenty of room and it will appear directly under you posting instead of off to the side... ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks for the advice Craig. I notice my lfs keeps little marine stuff.
    Today I traided her some of those fake ornament decors. You know like the small castles and ruin pillers and plastic plants that I got with some of my other tanks. Thats how I got my first fish (clown) today. She will trade she is a real nice lady.
    I should get the crabs next week and I will let you know how they turn out somethinfishy. And thanks Birdlady...I found the field for my signature today.

How bout my avatar......is that too funny. Guess what kinda fish it is.

Oh yea the 200 tiny white bugs are now 20.000 bugs. They are all over everything and my clown is tryin to thin them out. Must be a good sign shes eatin in her new tank huh.

Jay

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Jay,

Great stuff a mature clown can aproach 5 - 6". Your tank will only allow for 6" of mature fish. 1" per five gallons is the rule. The clown will use all of the available filtration capacity. With a skimmer and LR your tank will probably support tow or three small fish total.

My 20 gallon long tank supports a Blue Damsel and a small Flasher Wrasse with my LR and skimmer rated for a 100 gallon tank.

Your 60 will support 12" of mature fish.

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Heres a picture of the mass of white bugs that have invaded my tank......what a trip

Purchased sand and salt for my new tank this morning. Has anyone used the salt from Kent Marine. I bought their 200 gal bucket for 41 bucks. Hope it is good. It says it has all trace elements and the whole ball of wax that the other companys have. Also ordered 3 bags carib sea special grain 40#s, 1 bag of fugi pink 15# and misc test kits to complete the ones I need. Im buying salifert per Johno's advice. The ones I have seem to be easy enough to read.

Just look at those BUGS man lots.

A few of the larger bugs in the picture are bubbles on the glass., but that is 95% bugs

Jay

Attached Files:

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

7. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Hey Jay,

I was wondering if all your white bugs/copepods are still around or if they've all died off? It seems now that about 95% of the copepods in my tank (both the small swimming ones and larger sand crawling ones) have disappeared.

Can anyone comment on this being part of the normal tank cycling? My tank has been cycling for about 4 weeks now -- just LR and water with two tiny crabs that came out of the LR.

I added a powerhead (529gal/hr) to get some tank circulation going. Perhaps that also has something to do with the critters disappearing?

Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

They have reduced alot but are not gone. I have noticed a lot of other creatures come out since then.

Jay