Tiny white brittle star?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by IndianRiverRob, Aug 23, 2008.

1. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

I have a small piece of rubble rock that has been sitting on the sand in the front of my tank. It had what looked like a red feather duster on in a few weeks ago but the snails and crabs keep moving it as the crawl along the sand. Today I flipped the rock over to see if the feather duster was still there and found a brittle star that was smaller than a dime. It was completely white and crawled into the sand after I moved its rock so I couldn't get a picture. Is this just a normal brittle star or something I should try to remove from the tank? I have never had any brittle stars in the tank so I guess it came on some LR. I haven't added any LR into my tank for about 3 or 4 months so not sure where it came from. Also, I didn't see the feather duster, will they move or did something eat it or die? Thanks Rob
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sounds like a micro brittle star. They will always stay small. Great detrivore.
  4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

they are very bennificial rob, good score, many people actually buy them online, but free is allways good ;D

and yes, featherdusters can and do move, they are a worm, and move like one :)
  5. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

Cool, good to know. Thanks for the quick response.
  6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse