Tiny white brittle star?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by IndianRiverRob, Aug 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

I have a small piece of rubble rock that has been sitting on the sand in the front of my tank. It had what looked like a red feather duster on in a few weeks ago but the snails and crabs keep moving it as the crawl along the sand. Today I flipped the rock over to see if the feather duster was still there and found a brittle star that was smaller than a dime. It was completely white and crawled into the sand after I moved its rock so I couldn't get a picture. Is this just a normal brittle star or something I should try to remove from the tank? I have never had any brittle stars in the tank so I guess it came on some LR. I haven't added any LR into my tank for about 3 or 4 months so not sure where it came from. Also, I didn't see the feather duster, will they move or did something eat it or die? Thanks Rob

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sounds like a micro brittle star. They will always stay small. Great detrivore.

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

they are very bennificial rob, good score, many people actually buy them online, but free is allways good ;D

and yes, featherdusters can and do move, they are a worm, and move like one :)

5. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

Cool, good to know. Thanks for the quick response.

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse