Tiny snails eating my zoas

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by BigJim, Mar 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I have a small zoa frag that started to close up about a week ago. I dipped it in Coral Rx once and it didn't get better. I just finally noticed these tiny snails barely larger than a grain of sugar were all over it. Can anyone identify the snail and give me advice on how to get rid of them?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The only snails that I know of that eat zoanthids are Sundial and a few types pyramids. I am sure there has to be others.

Manual removal at night and check for eggs round the base of the zoanthids.

Good luck, I hope someone chimes in that knows specifically what type of snail. Perhaps pm member pagojoe.

4. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

are you sure they are eating the zoas and not just disturbing them?

5. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

Thanks. They definitely don't look like sundial snails and they are very tiny. They work quick because the zoanthids have gone from beautiful to nearly dead in a week. I searched this site and the web and pyramid snails are the only thing that look similar. Everyone seems to say they just kill clams though. It was an inexpensive frag so it won't kill me to lose it, I just want to make sure my tank isn't infested with something bad.

6. Corailline

There are so many different types of pyramids, some are predatory to snails. I know that some individuals that have been doing this awhile have said they had issue with some types pyramids snails being parasitic to zoanthids, I will look for a link.

7. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

Here's the zoa. Parts of it appears to be decaying to me, but this is my first zoa, so maybe they aren't eating it.

Attached Files:

• 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      388.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Zoas are very funny corals. Sometimes they close up for no reason at all and will remain that way for several days. Take a turkey baster or syringe and GENTLY blow them off. They sometimes will build up junk around them especially in lower flow areas or because they are so close together. I am not saying there is'nt something eating them but from what I see in the picture they look healthy to me. I have had tanks were certain zoas and Palys will spread like wildfire while others will do nothing or melt away. Good luck.

11. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

Thanks. I already dipped them again and hit them with a turkey baster earlier today, so hopefully they will open back up.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

There's another snail that eats zoas called a Wentletrap or Epitonium. For some reason I can't find the photos in my photobucket, but you can find it in this link.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

Scroll down to snails.

----------------
    Sent from Tapatalk, so please forgive grammar and spelling :)