Tiny snail ID - calling pagojoe!! :)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by gabbagabbawill, Apr 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

1 person likes this.
  4. Renee@LionfishLair

On my way to go sneak these in to the lab..... I can't bring them in with the high powered lens though, because those scopes are in the "clean room". I think the one I can get to is 40x. Let's hope it shows something.

1 person likes this.
  5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Awesome! Great work so far... I really appreciate it... We haven't heard from Don on these photos yet, so I'm guessing he's waiting on the micro shots...

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Looking at those pics, I think rissoids... but I swear I saw the hint of a fold inside the aperture. The swirl on the top I could not visualize at all. But that's how mine were, I couldn't see the folds.... until a couple of shots grabbed it.

They are in the lab now... let's hope they don't get grabbed as a space part to be sent up on the next flight!

This is my husband's job, not mine. He's an Aerospace Engineer.

7. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

yeah, I went back and forth with it myself when looking at them... I have a cheap almost toy-like microscope... I don't trust my knowledge of these snails to be able to tell, though.

that sounds awesome... please do send them to space... I'd love to claim that snails from my tank went to outer space. lol.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

10. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I hate this species because 1) it turns up in reef tanks over and over, 2) it's just about as intermediate between the Rissoidea and Pyramidellidae as you can get, and 3) it doesn't seem to be figured in any of the popular literature or the internet, with a verifiable ID. I know a couple of sleuths that could probably track it down given enough time, and may have to resort to asking them. The closest species I can find on the internet (since I haven't dug out my most likely books yet) is Stosicia incisa. It's pretty obviously not this species, since the number of ribs and coarseness of the sculpture are different, but it's fairly close. This particular one happens to be a rissoid:

Stosicia incisa

The aquarium world definitely needs an ID to the species level on this one, though. Still working on it...

Don

1 person likes this.