Tiny snail eating Miami Hurricane Chalice

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by schackmel, Mar 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

About 3-4 weeks ago I purchased a large Miami Hurricane chalice. I carefully placed it in my tank away from any other corals and low in the tank to protect it from light. I had a rock that I placed right above the sand that kind of provided a lip to prevent sand from getting on it.

Well Thursday I noted some white spot on one eye of the chalice. Friday I got up and that section had receded. I dipped the coral in coral revive. Today it seems like it receeded more. I took it to the LFS to see what they thought it was. When I got there under lower lights we noted spots on several polyps that looked like something was eating at it? In the bottom of the bowl we saw this tiny snail. One guy who really knows his stuff said it was a hourglass snail (then corrected himself as to what it was...but cant remember exactly as I was quite upset) He said that if that is that, then the coral is LOST:cry: (not in that nice of word either) Another guy who I trust came over and looked at it and said no it is a baby turbo snail

My parameters are perfect...Neg ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH 8.4, kH 9, calcium 460, phosphates neg. I test the pH, kH and calcium almost daily as I use 2 part and Kalk in my tank and adjust as needed. Tank has chiller and runs at 78.8. I have MH and T5s

The one guy thought it would be better to leave it at the store and let them see if they can nurse it back...so I did. They said they would probably frag the affected area off if it continued to receed. One side of the coral is PERFECT...so I told them if need be cut it in half. (I am wishing now that I would not have left it there...but this one said he would watch over it himself)

Any idea what type of snail might eat a chalice....it is small about the size of a pinhead. Everything else is doing great and thriving. I have SPS, clams and LPS. I have a few other aussie corals mainly acans but they are doing awesome. If I could just salvage even a small piece of this coral I would be happy (I know it is impossible to diagnose sicne I dont have a picture of it...but thought you all might have an idea)

I did have dino in my tank that I finally diagnosed right after I added the coral (however I think it was there before as I was treating what I thought was cyano). I have not seen ANY sign of dino or cyano in the tank for 3 weeks or so, and this piece never had any sign of attack of dino!

Please help!

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Look for info on these two Coralliophila abbreviata , or maybe Drupella snails ?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

OH GOSH....I hope not....what I read they are as destructive as Crown of Thorn Starfish! I did not find any pictures of juveniles...only adult form. The articles did say that the shells are white and vary in size. The shell was white for sure....had the body of a turbo snail but I have never seen a baby turbo either so dont know!

My acros and montis seem to be doing well..has great polyp extension. My superman monti frag does have a white area on it in the center but I think that is a sting...it fell off the rock onto my brain

It doesnt seem to have any treatments that I have found soo far? You know of any other then giving up! GRRR!

thanks

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Can you get a really good close photo of what you have ? No control I know of , Maybe a F.W dip like with the prymide snails will kill them ?

1 person likes this.
  6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no cause I took it to the store and they are treating it right now! I am tempted to go and get it back tomorrow and treat it myself. They said that it might be better in their tank (display tank). Only reason I considered it was out of thought that it was only a couple weeks since I have seen dinoflagellates in my tank and that maybe that was just extra stress on them!