tiny little maxima clam??

Discussion in 'Clams' started by s14hayame, Oct 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. s14hayame

s14hayame Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey guys my LFS just got in three little baby maximas very small 1" if any thing, well here my question should i get them??? am i ready for them ???
    i have a 35gl hex with 150w 14k phoenix and two 24w actinics and a pending 48w t5 artinics(not vho since i have mh already). i have also ask my LFS to get me some live phyton. all i have now to feed is zooplex and the live stuff is coming next week. so what u think guys am i ready for the baby maximas???

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

At that size, clams survive on phytoplankton alone so if you don't mind spending the money on live phyto, go for it (assuming your tank is mature enough to handle them).

4. s14hayame

hmmm... that might be a problem :confused: here's the thing i just recenly moved into the new tank say about 3weeks ago, im used every last drop of water form the old tank about 20g worth of water,then i added those live water that u can buy in a 4.4g jug and the rest is fresh mixed water. the way i look at it i practically did a 30% water change. all my other corals are doing good all opened up to how they were in the old tank so...... am i ready ???

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's not the way I would look at it :) Did you transfer any live rock or sand from the old system into the new? If you did, you can bet that there will be some bacteria die off as a result and your tank will go through a mini-cycle, assuming it hasn't done so already seeing as you moved the tank 3 weeks ago.

6. s14hayame

so i guess what u saying is that my tank is not ready yet right? well i ll wait i guess...

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Without knowing what your water tests at or what the live rock/live sand situation in your tank is, I don't know how to answer the question.

8. Click Here!

9. s14hayame

well i did have the water teasted every is fine except the nitrite is a tab bit higher then normal but nothing lethal. but as far as the rock and sand i dont know what to look for or tell you.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:)

That little bit of nitrite that you're seeing is probably a result of the tank transfer so you're most likely experiencing a mini-cycle. I would wait until the nitrites drop and then nitrates rise then fall before considering adding a clam.

11. s14hayame

ok that sounds good im gonna test the water again today, last time i checked it was sunday so lets see. but thank you for all ur advice you are the best.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The chances of survival with a clam of that size is very slim!!! I would invest my money in a clam in the 4" range. A clam at that size requires strong light which you have for its food and survival. Their iridophores and zooxanthellae have grown and will provide nutrients needed for survival.
    Clams as small as you are debating the purchase of require food(NOT LIGHT)! And more often than not the food we give them is too big for them to take in and digest, thus the motion of them almost going through a coughing motion somewhat similar to the reflex of a change in light over the clam causing it to close briefly. Nano plankton and yeast, yes, yeast is what they prefer! Yeast used to make bread, found at local supermarkets everywhere.
    IMO though, I would shy away from baby clams and focus on juvenille to adult clams for long term success as I have had both and lost the baby ones while I have kept a Corcea and Squamosa for a long time now and they even made it through a house and tank move!!!!!!!
    For an additional $20.00 roughly, you can get an adult clam(prefferably an ORA clam) with a greater proven track record!!!!!!!
    One last thing to take into consideration, you will have better odds with a Squamosa or Durasa tridacna than any other clam!!! They are hardier and more likely to survive many years of pleasure for you in your tank!!!