Tinted Water

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Felony, Jan 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Felony

Felony Plankton

I recently added some API brand tetracycline to my tank to get rid of some minor tail rot. It turned the water blood red and killed most of my fish. I followed the directions exactly to the letter. Educational experience.....
    Anyway, can I substitute my foam filter with an activated charcoal one to help filter out the red stain? I have been doing excessive water changes but at this rate it will take forever.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    R

:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

polyfilter is great for removing medications
    sorry about your loss

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ouch!

Bio-Med Polyfilter is good option.

Sorry for loss.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sorry for your losses....

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Oh yes...forgot...

Some serious water changes due.

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Once again, sorry for your losses, get a QT tank up and running if you can, that way you dont have to treat the whole tank and risk anything happening :-/

8. Click Here!

9. Felony

Felony Plankton

thanks for the replies. you guys are great. I'll give it a try...
    R

10. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

re-cycle system due to microbe death

HI,
    I have become very concerned about using any meds in saltwater, my favorite med is green food or spriulla with garlic added.
    Most fish in saltwater are very resiliant and what dosen't kill them they usally get over, unless they were poisioned in the collection or shocked by the transit to the LPS.
    Your tank has be pretty much been nuked by the tetracycline even at really low doses. it may need a period of time to recycle and your live rock may be DOA,most anerobes are extremly sensative to meds, dont fret most of my rock was not live when I bought it I just cycled it in my tank , I wonder if carbon would help remove the stain. most of it is excreted in urine in mamalls, saltwater fish have a more complex way of exporting waste thru their gills. if I remember my pharmacy lessons tetracycline is a exotoxin extraceted from a type of strep that makes many bacteria sick, not to mention everything else talk about chemotherapy.

I know in Humans it can become part of the bones due to its afinity for calcium, so it may be in the carbonate in the gravel and live rock it seem to be inert once bound.
    Doug

Be sure to let everything settle before adding fish check for nitrate and other waste problems , to be sure you bio system is viable,
    you may see some other problems as your cycle catches back up..
    I went over board and added to much sand to a sump and pretty much killed the sump and had to wait a couple weeks for a mini re-cycle of bugs, worms and other things, learning can be painful....

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

qt, i would never introduce meds in the main tank.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Amen! :(