time to upgrade my lighting

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Buzz1ightyear, Mar 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Buzz1ightyear

Buzz1ightyear Astrea Snail

hey everyone its time to upgrade my lighting my tank is a 20 gallon and i want to be able to put corals in my tank. what inexpensive lighting you would recommend. i was thinking about some T5 lighting but am open to anything please post links to what you recommend.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

T5HO is not a bad choice, but for the cost of a quality unit, you can get a nice LED fixture from Reef Breeders.

http://reefbreeders.com/

4. David-

David- Astrea Snail

What's the budget? An ai hydra would be nice there $400 kinda in between the high end led fixtures and the cheap ones as far as price goes.

5. Buzz1ightyear

$400 seems like a lot of money for a light i was hoping there was something around the $100 or less range i know ebay and amazon has a ton of lights that are really inexpensive are any of them any good?

6. David-

David- Astrea Snail

That's really not much for a quality led like I said it's in the middle as far as price range on leds go, Checkout the reef breeders, reef radiance and evergrows fixtures great prices on those and I wouldn't go any cheaper on led fixtures, There's other led units that are under $100 but those are meant for fish only tank mainly and don't really provide enough light for a mix of corals, you may be able to get a t5 around $100 but for quality bulbs it may put you over that budget to probally.

7. Buzz1ightyear

so i decided to go with a T5 lighting system i bought off ebay. it comes with 2x 24W T5 HO lamps 10000K and 2x 24W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue. if these bulbs are too low quality what would be some good bulbs to upgrade.

8. Click Here!

9. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

ATI bulbs are pretty much what everyone uses.