Time for new CUC!!

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by PghSteeler, Feb 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Hey John been awhile since I have replenished my crew from you!

I beleive you got married in the meantime so congrats on that! Hope all is well!

As for my CUC I originally purchased a custom package for a 46bowfront. Over two years almsot everything died. I also moved and upgraded to a 65 gallon tank now and have but 3 lonely hermits and 1 peppermint shrimp left from the move. Needless to say I am desperite to replenish but this weather up north has been a killer!

Tan kis 36inch by 18inch 65gallon. Transferred all my liverock which was about 45lbs when dry, unsure of wet weight but is pukani so very pourous. All original so seasoend two years covered with coralline. I went with all new sand and added 60lbs of sugargrain. Plan on added another 30 in the future after this bed becomes a bit mroe established. Fish are 1 melanarus wrasse, 2 occelarus clowns, 1 flame angel, and 1 small blue hippo tang. Inverts are just a bunch of mixed corals soft, lps, leathers, and sps along with a pepperment shrimp and large feather duster.

I have not seem any hair algae in my tank really but have that g reen film alage bloom on my walls every 3 days pretty bad. I also have been dealling a good bit with cyano 99% on the sandbed sicne the move. Nitrates and phosphates always check at zero but I am thinking its because there is no sand-stirrers what so ever in the tank to mix thiings up. Anything that could help with these problems would be great. i recently vacuumed up all the cyano after letting it go 2 weeks to form a thick matt hoping that it would allow it to soak up as much nutrients as possible and them be removed easily.
    I have seem small bubbl algae inthe middle of my rocks from time to time but after 2 years it has not ever grown to outside the rocks so must be a slwo growing species of some sort.

I am itnerested in everything but an emrald crab really. i hate the price of express shipping but its worth it if I get a better package with more diversity. i plan on ordering once the weather gets a little warmer. I might try some macro algae too, last time I got some from you it died but I only had T8 lights and it was a new tank.

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Thanks, I did! This will work I think:

40 Dwarf Ceriths
    13 Nassarius
    18 Florida Ceriths
    16 Nerites

4. PghSteeler

No need for hermits?? I know you suggested like 12 of them last time but I do think they kiled msot of my CUC on their own

5. johnmaloney

They wont help with film algae, and they require Express. Those are the two main reasons I skipped them, I never really recommend them unless you like to watch them and/or you have hair significant algae.

6. PghSteeler

Ok thanks John.
    I see you have those fuzzy chitons back in stock too do you ever suggest them or limpets as a cuc member? Do they fill a specific niche or are they just more expensive versions of nerites and ceriths?

7. johnmaloney

We can wok them in, they require Express Mail and the other cleaners will do thei job that is why we skipped them.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

Hey John getting ready to order my cuc. Was thinking the Florida fighting conch to be a real good sand stirrer and I read they consume cyano. Would one be effiecent enough to keep my sand bed mostly red slime free?

10. johnmaloney

How big is the tank he is going in what % of the sand is exposed?

11. PghSteeler

65gal 36X18 inch prob 50% sand without rock and about 3inch deep

12. johnmaloney

One conch mixed with certihs and nassarius would be a strong sand crew for your tank.