Tiger Barb getting chased by cichlid, what to do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by thesnowboarder, Jan 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I think it is worse as now you have two Barbs that are getting picked on and , my guess will evenyually die.
    I would return one of the two...either the cichlid or the barbs. Cichlids and community fish really don't mix for the most part IMO. Plus Africans should be with other Africans only(different water parameters).

2. Click Here!

3. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Any progress with the cichlid and barbs? Has the cichild gotten used to or bored with the barbs yet?
    As mentioned before, barbs are best in groups. My very first tank was a 10 gallon freshwater that I tried to start with just 2 tiger barbs. One chewed the fins off the other. I've found 5 or 6 to be the magic number with tiger barbs. I still have a school of them in my planted 38 gallon tank. They're a great fish with a lot of personality. I hope it works out for you...

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

get about 10 more barbs and add them then watch who chases whom.. LOL These are rather aggressive schooling fish like Parana and tin-foils and alone they are nothing to worry about but in numbers its a different story.

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Okay, I had cichlids for years, you cannot mix cichlids with other community fish besides angelfish and possibly parrots because they are slower swimmers than most cichlids. Cichlids don't get bored...they will bother and torment that fish till it's dead. Cichlids will do this with other cichlids as well that's why it's important to check compatability. You can't put a yellow lab with a black convict...the lab will be a toy for the convict. What cichlids do you have? I wouldn't bother with any more barbs...you either have a community tank with compatable community fish or a cichlid tank. Cichlids are fish with habits and they become very terratorial and they are FAST. I watched one of my cichlids get beaten up real bad by 3 others and I knew I would wake up to a dead fish...I was right. The most appropriate thing you can do is return the barb or hold out and hope to the fish gods that the cichlid you have gets accustomed. good luck.

6. thesnowboarder

thesnowboarder Plankton

i believe my cichlid is an african, its yellow with some lighter stripes down the side, whats weird it that i have other small communitity fish in the tank that the cichlid doesnt mess with what so ever

Im currently not home right now and wont be for the next 2 days so i cant really say how there doing, (my dad is taking care of my fish)

I will get back to everyone on the progress but from what my dad said they are getting chased still but the barbs are finding places to hide

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Does It Have Black Stripes On It's Dorsal Fin And Bottom Fins...if So You Have A Yellow Lab, Which Is Probably The Most Easy Going Of The African Cichlids So It's Probably Showing The New Fish Who's Boss Expecially If The Barb Is A Similar To Larger Size. Now If It Is Yellow To A Yellowy Orange With No Black Lines On It's Fins But 3 Circles On It's Bottom Fins Then It's A Zebra Which Is One Of The More Aggressive Cichlids And I Would Say You Probably Will Have More Problems As It Gets Older And Bigger. Thats The Other Thing With Cichlids...there True Personality Will Show As It Grows And Develops. I Had A Yellow Lab For A Yr No Problems What So Ever Then All The Sudden After A Year It Became A Real Mean Bugger. I Think It's A Shame Your Lfs Didn't Advise You On Not Intermixing Cichlids With Community Fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Fishyz

Fishyz Astrea Snail

You should return either the african's or the community fish. Even if it is a yellow lab, I find that as they grow older, they can be one of the most agressive fish in an african cichlid tank. Do you know the specific types of african's in your tank? The cichlids in your tank will more than likely end up killing the community fish. I had a friend a few years ago who put some bleeding heart tetra's in with his african's, and guess who got to say I told you so :p lol. Please do your fish a favor, keeping agressive fish and community fish doesn't do anyone any good- they community fish get picked on, you have to worry about your fish 24/7. The only thing which benifits from that is the cichlids- they get a free meal.

10. thesnowboarder

thesnowboarder Plankton

i decided to return the barbs, in place of another cichlid, so i now have 3 "large" african's and one "medium" who does not get picked on by the bigger fish, my bala shark seams to be very peace full with the cichlids too

1 person likes this.
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good move man. Karma to you.