Tide Simulator?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Seano Hermano, Aug 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i think ive seen containers like the one you have but a tad bit taller. Walmart also sells some bigger containers for like 30 bucks ( can hold 40gallons or so). I dont know if thats completely out of budget.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

As for a larger container, I don't recall if you mentioned what you were using. If it's a plastic farm store tub, IIRC the next 2 sizes are the same dimensions, but deeper. Depending on the exact brand, I believe they should be 12 & 18g, or 15 & 20g.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Well the bus tub was going to be 6.5 gallons - 20" L X 15" wide X 5" deep. I kind of want something bigger in all dimensions - but not too deep - maybe 7-12" if I can get the L x W to be bigger too.

5. Seano Hermano

I'll check out those RubberMade containers at Walmart; those might be a good option - could those be spray painted? I want it to be black.

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

not sure.. but i believe they come in different colors, so maybe you could find one in black.

7. Seano Hermano

8. Click Here!

9. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

I like the enthusiasm behind this concept. However, I'm not quite sure I understand why you would want to do it? On such a small scale it doesn't seem like it would be that interesting to see.

That being said this is how I would do it. I'd try to go simple. A powerhead to pump water out of the tank and into a container below (probably a bucket) and then a return pump in the container to pump the water back in.

You could have this done using a basic timer but it would work much better if you had it hooked up to a controller to get exact seconds. Good luck!

10. Seano Hermano

Why? Just to have some thing interesting and different. I like coming up with new ideas. I've got lots of them, and I am constantly finding new ones. :) It's the arty/design side of me. lol.

I want to keep it relatively small, but I want to have it big enough that I can have some livestock in it.

For now, coral will not be in the tank, as to keep costs down. I may add coral later. Right now this is what I am thinking for livestock.

Brittle star

Sea hare

Rock-boring urchin

pair of Coral banded shrimp

Electric orange hermit crab

Miscellaneous dwarf hermit crabs

Swimming crab

Nerite snails

Fire worm

Spaghetti worm

Feather duster/coco worm

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

sounds good!;D

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I definitely see the merit for this tank. You could get some odd animals that emerge at low tide when its safe to travel (G. chiragra mantis shrimp for example ;) ) and actually see them.

but I also have some concern about the smell as well. Might not be too bad but if it is you can just use it as a lagoon and keep the lower bulk head for easy water changes.