Thrive Aquatics Water Lab Nears Completion

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Would you use the Thrive Water Lab if it were in your local fish store?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I'd use it ... This is something I've wanted to see in the hobby ever since I got involved.

I figured there had to be a way to analyze water with one machine. I work in the mining industry and we have all kind of analyzers that will break down everything thats in a sample.

I'd be curious to know about price though. The other thing is how much maintenance goes into keeping a unit like this calibrated and accurate.

Most of our machines need instrument air, helium, oxygen, and other gases and chemicals hooked up to them to perform their tests.

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

This is what worries me most about the idea of an all in one machine at a LFS. It's hard to trust some of these guys to change their RO/DI on time. Much less make sure a complex machine is properly maintained.

4. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

If it was a free service I'd use it. But I'd still stick to my at home testing. I can certainly test all my parameters faster then bagging water and driving to my LFS and having it analyzed. But still think its a cool idea

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I would be very interested in the accuracy of the test performed. If it proved to be accurate and didnt requrie crazy high maintenance cost I would be tempted to get one myself

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Cool, but I dont really trust my LFS to maintain it. I'd rather use the service where you send out a sample to the place (cant think of what its called) and they send you a break down of the parameters.

7. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

I voted no. My lfs is about thirty miles away, and based their customer service they would likely charge too much. If I had tank issues that were out of control, I would go through the effort and cost to get the dosing recommendations.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

That works for some things but sending water in the mail allows time for things to break down without the liverock there to convert. WHile in the bag ammonia nitrtie and nitrate can build up as well as ph and kh dropping. I guess the SG CA MAg K Cop etc would remain the same since they dont really break down but I could not say for sure since I dont know if a dropping pH and Alk would effect their numbers

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

What would this be used for? Facial recognition? Or perhaps calling customer accounts to direct them how to proceed based on water tests?

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I love all my home digital meters. Yes, I would use it for sure!

12. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Hopefully it would be a free service. My LFS just put up a new rack of all Thrive aluminum can products and refills. I'm sure he probably plans on having this right next to it (fingers crossed). I'm sure they will show you dosages of each element you would need with their products right there to choose from.