THREE TON TILLY IS ALMOST DONE!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by lzb3, Mar 25, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

Well, I haven't really posted anything recently because there wasn't anything really to say. My hubby has been working on the plumbing on Tilly for about 3 weeks now. We originally set it up, plumbed it, put in freshwater and tested only to learn that we had a flow rate problem with the filtration system. We then had to drain it down and repair the problem. That was done this weekend.

Tonight I started carrying in 40 pound bags of South Down and dumping them in the tank. In ths picture, you will notice that the tank is about 2/3 full of sand. There are now 12 bags of South Down in the tank. That is 480 lbs! We really like the look of a really DSB so this one will be about 6"-7" deep. I still haven't figured out how to spread all the sand, as I can't reach the bottom of the tank...even if I am standing at the top of a 4' step ladder!

Anyway....here is the 1st pic of the tank with 480 pounds of South Down!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

Here is another view of the tank with the sand in it. We still have to put the lights in the canopy and put the canopy on top. Unfortunately, hubby and I cannot lift the canopy with out help. Hubby spent tonight running the RO hose through the attic so he can put the float valve in the sump tomorrow. Once that is done, we will start to fill it!

Attached Files:

4. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

And finally...this shot is for all you that are dying to know what the back of the beast looks like........

Don't ask me to explain!

Elizabeth ::) ::) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=wink3.gif]

Attached Files:

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What a beast Elizabeth! :eek:

That's a heck of a closed loop you have going there! WoW.

What is your main sump pump going to be?

And maybe a boat paddle will help level that sand. hehe.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to the next one! [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

6. Mauireefer

Mauireefer Astrea Snail

looking great liz....fantastic setup...i dont know how shy you are of reaching the bottom, but If you get a clean plastic dustpan, you might be able to level the sand, just a suggestion...Good to see you here

Jared

7. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey Liz,

Did you ever decide on a skimmer? Are you going with what you have available? Or, are you planning on buying a new one before the beast is awakened?

Looks great, Liz!!! Keep us posted!!!

8. Click Here!

9. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

Thanks guys. I appreciate your enthusiasm. You have no idea how ready I am to have this sucker up and going.

Thought I would give you an update. Tilly now has all her substrate in....a little over 800 pounds of South Down. We are starting to fill with RO water. Our unit makes only 24 gpd, so I borrowed a bigger unit from a friend. His makes 100 gpd so it will only take 5 days to fill instead of 21!

As for the skimmer, Wrasse....we are going to hold off for now. We the increase in size of this tank versus our other, our bioload as a percentage will drop WAY down. We are gonna use the bullett 2 skimmer for as long as we can before we invest in another one. Besides, Tilly has drained our finances down to nothing!

Anyway...here is a pic with all the sand in....

Attached Files:

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[smiley=drool.gif]

Must ... stop ... staring....

11. Mauireefer

Mauireefer Astrea Snail

That is insane... [smiley=speechless.gif]
    i dont know what else to say except...DAMN, keep us updated.. so impressive

Jared

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Too cool lzb3, keep it up and keep those pictures coming!