Urgent Threads on Acropora

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by ChicagoReefOne, Oct 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ChicagoReefOne

ChicagoReefOne Flamingo Tongue

I've noticed these weird thread/string bits coming off of the ridges around the polyps of my bonsai acropora. The polyps are also not fully extending. The picture is toned up to highlight the thing since it's hard to see, you can see them in the whitish threads coming off the coral mostly on the right and left sides. I've looked through ID pages and haven't been able to find it, so all help is appreciated. I'll try to get a better picture.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Maybe me but I can not see any threads.

But with that said, is a vermetid snail living on the plug or in close proximity ?

4. ChicagoReefOne

Yeah the threads are really hard to see, they're coming of the polyps ridge mainly on the right.

And yes that's also a vermetid snail on the left side, or at least its old tube, it got dealt with ;D

5. Corailline

Ok next I would look to Ctenophores.

Lastly dinoflagellates, if the thread becomes longer as the photoperiod goes on.

Have you tried using a turkey baster to see if it is easily dislodged ?

6. ChicagoReefOne

Maybe this will help I added arrows to the things I'm looking at. And again, sorry the picture isn't good

[​IMG]

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Have you been touching the coral a lot? That looks like the fresh is peeling off.

Please post your alk, Ca and Mg values. If these are off they can cause the problems you are experiencing.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

How long are the threads ?

10. ChicagoReefOne

Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it. Here's the answers the questions above:

I've tried turkey basted them and theyre implanted in the coral flesh.

The threads are not long maybe less than 1 cm.

I haven't touched this coral in maybe 9 months probably longer (want it to grow out!) and the flow has been steady on it for about 4 of those. Are there any links to pictures of flesh being actively blown off? I don't really think it's that, but if there's a picture that can help .. .

My dkh is 8, ph 8.2, sg: 35ppm, NO3: 5 ppm, Ca has stayed at 420-400 every time I check it, I don't have a Mg test kit. I use Brightwell salt which I've heard is pretty solid in that category.

I'll try to get a better picture, the same thing seems to be happening to other acroporas, which makes me think.

11. ChicagoReefOne

I'm still hoping that someone can help me figure out what these are, here's a better picture of the stuff I'm talking about: the white threads coming off the right of the coral. Refer to the arrows in the previous picture, they're still there. Thanks for any help![​IMG]

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Could be mesenterial filaments, a part of the polyp.