Thoughts on Vodka Dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JustinNJ, Feb 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustinNJ

JustinNJ Plankton

Hello all,

This is my first post so please pardon any mistakes I may make. I am new to the saltwater hobby and set my 75g FOWLR up on December 27th. My current stocking is 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, a Flame Angel and Lemon Peel. After testing my levels today, the nitrAtes are a bit high for my liking. I know in a FOWLR nitrAtes typically aren't of major concern but I would like to keep them as close to zero as possible. The results using the API Liquid test kit are as follow: Ammonia: 0, NitrItes: 0, NitrAtes: 20+. I have about 90lbs of rock and 100lbs of sand in the tank and a Coralife Skimmer 125. I did a 20 gallon water change on 01/24 and another one yesterday and they haven't put a dent in the nitrAte levels. I've been reading up on how vodka dosing helps lower nitrAtes and phosphates. Do you think the tank is still just establishing bacteria and I should wait or do you think dosing might be the way to go? Thank you for your help :).

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's a pretty new tank.. could just be a part of the normal cycle. Either way it's hard to tell whats going on in your tank. One would have to see your set up and method of nutrient export.
    As far as vodka .. In my reading it seems people prefer vinegar over vodka. Less cyano blooms with vinegar. You could also check out biopellets which do the same thing and / or
    prodibio. They all basically do the same thing. I've been using prodibio with fantastic results.
    For fish only 20NO3 is not a big deal..but there is potential for algae.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

You'd want a better skimmer for any of the carbon fishing methods listed above. Honestly, a better skimmer might solve your issues without dosing.

5. JustinNJ

JustinNJ Plankton

What skimmer do you guys think are the best? I bought this one because I was just starting and it was a good price. I've been thinking about replacing it since I turned it on...

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Well couple things

1) do a search for vodka dosing in the right hand side near the top (steve wright) has a nice write up plus I remember reading some interesting stuff couple years back on 3reef

2) Do you have an RO/DI unit?

3) there are so many different skimmers and everyone has there own opinions so read through the skimmer threads. Price can vary drastically and nothing says the most expensive is the best. Reef Octopus makes some good stuff.. I have been looking at the dcs version lately just waiting for the cash to show up on my doorstep ha ha.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would get the best skimmer you can afford. What he is talking about is for any type of carbon dosing you want a very good skimmer and usually bigger than normal tank rating. I would suggest reading up on carbon dosing before doing anything.
    Here's a good read on vinegar dosing:
    Reefkeeping Magazine - Vinegar Dosing Methodology for the Marine Aquarium
    VSV method:
    The VSV Method | FAQ

I'm too busy for that so I really like the biopellet and/or Prodibio idea. They are all the same concept of fostering a bacteria that eats nitrates and phosphates.
    Another thing about vodka dosing.. during your reading take note the dates of articles and forum threads. Seems to me most have shifted away from vodka to vinegar or other methods.

8. Click Here!

9. JustinNJ

JustinNJ Plankton

Will definitely look up articles. Yes I make RODI water. The test results on that water for nitrAtes is 0.

10. JustinNJ

JustinNJ Plankton

Thank you for your comments everyone. Even without dosing I agree a better skimmer is needed. Going to have to start saving up. Should I increase my weekly water change amount to higher than 20 gallons?

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!

IMHO- wait for the rock/skimmer to take care of the nitrates, and don't even think about carbon dosing a FOWLR, but that's just me.

12. delreefer

delreefer Astrea Snail

You need to crosscheck your api test to another brand. I think you will find that the api is very inaccurate. I had a similar situation like yours, I used another brand of nitrate test and found the api test to be way off.