Thoughts on Vodka dosing for Nitrates..

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Kevin3884, Sep 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

After reading the whole thread, that was my next question. What does your bio-load look like? I had a similar "issue" with 20ppm of No3 for the longest. Without knowing your bio-load, I dare to say that you may need a bigger refugium, which would directly be related to the size of your bio-load.

BTW, I agree, 30ppm is nothing to lose your shirt over.

Luna

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

That's what I do, and so far my NO3 stays under 10. No adverse affects so far. I had a light cyano bloom (few spots here and there) which went away after I cut back on the dosing (.25ml every other day). It seems to work for me.

The bad problem is that it's a fuel for bacteria - of all sorts. Both good and bad. Be careful.

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I have 30ppm. All I have are softies though and they spread like WILDFIRE

5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have absolutely no experience with vodka dosing. But when I had an excess of nitrates, I got myself 2 phosban reactors (for a 90 gallon tank). I filled one reactor with Chemi Pure Elite, and the other with Seachem Purigen. Nitrates very quickly reduced to zero, and have remained there for months despite my heavy feeding of the tank. May be worth a shot.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I personally dont like flirting with danger when it comes to my tank. I prefer to find a "natural" way of dealing with any issues that araise. I know alot of ppl that dose with Vodka and claim that all is good. IMO, thats what I call flirting with danger. It only takes one little over-dose and I stand a chance of losing thousands. Call me conservative, but I'll find a better way.
    If you do decide to dose vodka, I suggest you do some major homework and learn how to fix it if you do overdose. Good luck!

Luna

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  7. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I have not tried dosing Vodka, so I can't say if it's good or bad. I will, however, say that long term effects of dosing are unknown. Do you want to be the person that had their tank crash trying out this Vodka dosing regimen?

Most people believe carbon dosing is like a "Godsend" to cure reef "problems".

There are many ways to lower nitrates. I have read many times the best way to lower nitrates is to increase biofiltration. Most people would agree with that. One product that stands out for me that I use and recommend is Seachems Matrix Biomedia.

Read this Excellent Nitrate Media

I've gotten many people to try this media out who have all had positive results like mine.

Go with what is proven before trying out the Vodka.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I dont think my bio-load is even close to what i could get away with.. here is the community members

2 - Clowns
    1 - Sailfin Tang
    1 - Regal Tang
    1 - Sgt Major
    1 - Firefish
    1 - Spotted Goby
    1 - Cleaner Wrasse
    1 - PJ Cardinal
    1 - 6 Line Wrasse
    2 - Chromis
    1 - Clown Goby
    1 - Royal Gramma

2 Urchins and multiple snails and hermits and 2 peppermints, 4 conchs, 1 serpent star...that make up the clean-up crew

10. Kevin3884

Oh and thats in a 125gallon tank

11. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

Yea, it doesn't sound like much, but if your filtration can't break down the bioload's waste fast enough, you'll always have nitrates..

12. Kevin3884

I have over 200lbs of live rock and 2 good size protein skimmers, a trickle tank sump, a refugium, and a reactor full of nitrate sponge...lol what else could i do for filtration..?