Thoughts on my setup?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by duoc9119, Jul 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Finished putting together the stand and plumbing so here is an overall picture. It is a 10 gallon display (with one Boostled Par30) and a 10 gallon display fuge (in the process, only light is the moonlight).

As for flow in the display I have a Korilla 1 and a Maxi Jet 400 return. The Display fuge's flow is a Korilla Nano with the Maxi Jet 400 return and the inlet from the display over top.

I'm going to get an LED grow light for the fuge eventually. Not sure if I want to keep that Aqua Clear 50 filter or not, which is why it is in the front of the tank.

Livestock in the main display is:

Red People Eater Zoas, Torch, GSP, a blue leg hermit, hawkfish, purple dottyback.

The fuge has a hermit and 2 emerald crabs. Going to fill it with some free flowing cheato, dragons breath, maybe some other macros, mangroves possibly.

So what do you guys think? Besides the fishes, they are going to go to the LFS as soon as they move to their new location. I got them to hold as a friend rebuilt his tank, but that never happened so I ended up with them.

2. Click Here!

3. duoc9119

Forgot to attach the picture! Haha

[​IMG]

4. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think it looks pretty good. The one thing I can say is don't get too attached to your rock scape just yet because I promise it wont stay that way as you try to catch those fish.

Good luck!

5. duoc9119

Rock won't stay like that for long. Its all going to be packed up and moved in about 3 weeks. Haha There's only 4 rocks in there, the 2 big ones, 1 holding the left one up from the back, and the one attached to the torch, so it is pretty easy to put back together.

6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Looking good. Just a couple questions. (1) HOW did you manage to drill that 10g, every one I've tried shatters LOL (2) How loud is the overflow? I'm considering a simple overflow for my 29g

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Words of wisdom. ::);D

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Coastie reefer I have the Glass-Holes super nano overflow on my 29g.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The setup looks nice, duoc1991. is that another 10g for your sump?

Edit: I guess I should have read the first post. lol.

11. duoc9119

I didn't have all the stickers and stuff on so it was a crap shoot when I went to drill it. Haha I guess most 10 gallons shatter because the glass is either tempered or just because the glass is pretty thin and too much pressure will cause it to break. I used a glass cutter from Glass-Holes, as Seano mentioned, and a corded drill and let the weight of the drill do the work. All I did was hold the trigger down and guide it.

The overflow isn't very loud at all. Just some draining noise but nothing unbearable. I made sure that the end is under water because that was the main cause of the noise, water splashing around.

This is as simple as you can get. I used a 1inch bulkhead, an elbow, and a 1 1/4 inch adaptor for the overflow. I Thought about using Glass-Holes kits but I don't like having a big bulky box in the display. My goal was to minimize all the clutter in the display

12. duoc9119

Why yes it is. It will act more like a display fuge than sump I suppose. I will try to add a DSB later on after I get the supplies for the fuge.