thoughts on a planted tank?

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by chelseagrin, Jun 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

well as most of you know i no longer have any of my reef tanks as i have sold them all off. i am now interested in a small desktop planted tank, i do not know exactly what equipment is entirely necessary for a planted tank.

i am thinking of using a fluval edge, or some other tank preferably under 8 gallons. any suggestions/ideas?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you get the edge or one of the small kit tanks it usually has all of the equipment you need except for a heater. A 50W heater should do fine for those tanks. You could get a 25W heater if you keep your place above 72.

4. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That will work.

CO2 need depends on the lighting each has. The lighting or the Edge isn't enough for plants to do well from what I have read. Where as the lights in a Biocube 8 will require pressurized CO2 if you use both. WE will need to know what you get so the lighting can be figured out. I removed one of the bulbs from my Biocube 8 and lift the light to 15" above my substrate to get the level to low light so I do not need CO2.

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

well theres a guy on craigslist that can get me a fluval edge for 40 dollars, so it looks like thats the route im going to be going. what are some good lower light plants? im really liking the look of the java fern.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Java fern is a good start, Anubias and Crypts also as well as mosses. Hygophilas are good ones but they tend to grow quickly and rather large. You can supplement the light with a 13W power compact and the plants will be happy.

8. Click Here!

9. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i have decided to actually go with one of the mr. aqua systems such as this.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua..._Rectangular-Mr._Aqua-AZ311551-FIAQRA-vi.html

i am looking at having this for lighting.

http://www.marinedepot.com/UP_Aqua_..._Aquariums-UP_Aqua-AZ46447-FILTFILDFX-vi.html

i will then cover the aquarium soil with some jet black gravel. and i will have some striped stones and driftwood in the tank. as for plants i was thinking some duckweed, contortion val, micro sword, and a madagascar lace, these i know can be difficult but i am up for it. i made also add a moss ball depending on the mood im in. lol. please anyone chime in to point out flaws in this plan.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sounds interesting. I like the looks of the tank. The light I have some reservations on but if you keep you substrate at least 2" deep at least especially for the Lace it could well work.

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Both of those would be better.

I would suggest using only one of the bulbs on the Coralife and have it about 15" above your substrate for low light and 12" for medium light. You may need a carbon supplement if you keep the fixture lower.

The Panorama you will most likely need to keep much higher, 21", to get it in the low light range. Even for medium light I would think 18" is in order.