thjis month's casualty

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by tinnghe, Jan 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

well this month is almost come to and end, and my golden head goby didnt make it, it died this morning, i was lookign for him yesterday and he came out and play around, i have 2 of them, i've only seen the one dead body so i hope everyone is fine, i lost an emperor earlier in the month, and then i lost the carnation anenome, i felt bad about myself, i think my tank just too small, and doesnt have enough room for the water to flex, therefore, i am getting a 140g to replace my 55g hiope i can get this done soon, in the mean time no more buying fish.

2. Click Here!

3. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

Maybe you could use more flow? I used two Koralia 2's in my 29g, and now have them in a 75g and they do an adequate job (in the 29g they did a terrific job!)

4. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

Having a 140g vs. a 55g will not change your luck with fish. I ran a very succesful 55g before I upgraded. Its not the tank. Before you sink a lot of money into the 140g you need to find what was not working on the 55g. Anemones are hard to get established in young tanks so are not a true indication of a problem. Losing 3 fish in a short period of time is. Something in your routine or water parimeters is off. I would get your tank water tested, test the RO/Di, And if it all comes out normal. Figure the routines and hygiene. For example if you wash your hands with soap do you rinse very well? Soap interduced to the tank will kill fish.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

How long have you had this tank set up and running ? Tank size is not you issue I don't think.

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

theres alot of very healthy 55 gallon tanks in this forum and smaller.i doubt size is the issue

7. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

Size is forsure not the issue, although I will not talk you out of going bigger. This past Septmeber I transferred everything from my 40G and 24G to a 75G. You would think with so much established (over a year) rock, water, sand, etc..that things would be sitting pretty. WRONG!! Just about every new fish died. Needless to say, after the 6th fish, I felt bad and was pissed. I left the tank alone for 4 weeks, not even a water change. Good to go since. Keep in mind that I first transfered the 40G w/no livestock for 4 weeks, than added the 24G. If I remember your previous threads, this 55G is fairly new?

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss! I agree with everyones comments. Need to find the root of problem first.

10. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

well the part that make me really want to set up a new tank is that i dont have an overflow, i've been using canister, and i know it could cause problem, my water parameters are always fine, i did a water change every month or so when the nitrate get around 15-20, however, sometime after i change the water, a few day later a fish will die for no reason, i always test my water before and after and test my ro/di w a tds to make sure everything go correct, but still cant keep them. my lfs have a 140g which very temp me to buy and i dont know yet about my decision, but i really want a bigger tank