this weekend missions

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Rawdogz, Jul 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i think am going to try a DIY base rock one on the type am looking at is this one
    About.com: http://www.athiel.com/lib3/arago.htm

do anyone know any other good mixture other then this one or any do and donts i should be looking out for

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

looks like a good plan, good luck with it and let us know how it turns out

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

That is from the GARF web site and it's pretty much the standard for making your own rock, since it works so well. I make my own too and I let mine cure for about 40-45 days, not 5 like it says there. not sure why on that specific page it only says 5 days......once a week I'd check the pH, do a water change then when it got under like 7.5 I'd put it in the tank. Have fun with it and wear gloves & goggles. it will burn skin..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

is your LFS the only place you can get aragonite gavel?

6. cuttingras

hmm good question...you can get it online but like a lowes or home depot? not here in BFE where I live. Most people don't even know what I'm talking about when I say something like aragonite or bulkhead :lol:........

I know you can get it online...

7. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

today is day one of my mission i have then next 4 days off. so am going to start today. Am off to find the supply i need

8. Click Here!

9. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

am in business now
    portland cement 94lb type 2 $11.74
    marine sand 2x 25pd $23.28
    crash coral 20lb $18.01
    one cup of starbuck coffee 3.06

the aragonite sand i found was live and it was 44.00 for 25 pd. it would be a waste, because when i mix it in fresh water the sand would die...so i figure i would get the marine sand and some CC to mix together for the sub out of the Aragonite sand.. first thing in the morning i will being

10. cuttingras

that was probably the most expensive thing on your list, pound for pound that is.....LOL ok, now, as you are doing this, you know you have to take pics!

11. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

lol, yes it was
    i will take lost of picture for everyone to see

12. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

here are the pictures from my weekend project

the only issue i had was that i ran out of mixing sand, which sucks so i couldn't make the amount of rock i wanted :(
    but i am going to have another crack at it in a few weeks , but this time i will get two type of sand, the mixing sand and the molding sand which will be the cheap home depot sand.

now the rocks are in my toilet tank curing for about 2 week, then am going to take it out and wash it with vinegar and then put it in the tank

BUT, i will say i had a fun time make the rock, it is very easy to do. so what do everyone think about it ?

Attached Files: