This is weird...I think

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Brandon1023, Mar 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

With the exception of my pagoda coral, at night when the lights go off, all my corals, and even my anemone! stay open....the colt doesn't shrink down, the hammer doesn't pull in its polyps, the xenia still pulses and is pretty open, not as much, but not like what I expected. And the anemone is usually (except if its pooping) still all open and bubbly. Ive had corals before in my 1st tank, which I upgraded to this one, and they never were like this at night. And I know they're like this all night because I wake up several times to use the restroom and love looking at the tank with the lunar lights. Plus when I get up for the day, usually before the lights come back on, they're still like that. Should I be concerned? Or happy? LOL. I'm not really worried but this seems unusual to me. Thoughts? THANKS!! :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Are the moonlights bright? They are probably stimulating them to stay open, possibly activating some zooxanthellae. It's obvious the moonlights are still helping them eat.

I dont think you should be worried, the coral will grow healthier being fed 24 hours a day. It will also not cause a bloom in macro-algae since they dont thrive with moons, atleast not that I know of.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I agree it's probably the moon lights. Personally I turn mine off after a while. You might want to give them total darkness now and then. Just a hunch.