This is very sad :(

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by d3javu, Mar 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. d3javu

d3javu Plankton

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

the sad part is that...reefs can naturally recover from natural disasters...but because of all the bad stuff we put on them...like pollution and global warming...it makes it almost impossible for the corals to heal fast enough :(

4. gmccntryboy

gmccntryboy Astrea Snail

I agree but mother nature has a way of healing. In time it will be as good as if not better than it was, but it won't happen over night.

5. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

I agree, things happen for a reason. It will eventually recover. ;)

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

That is one of the first things I thought of (of course the people and their homes etc.) but the Great Barrier Reef. I knew it wasn't going to be good! However, it does enable corals to be disbursed to other parts of the reef to establish themselves grow and spread. Just like us as we do alot of fragging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So in that regard it isn't all that bad. I know that some living organisms ie. corals,sponges gorgonians won't make it-but it is like what happens to forests after a fire. For awhile it looks grim with living things being dessimated, but through time life comes back and in some instances better than before-maybe it is just my oppinion, but it makes sense to me...

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

heres the thing...although coral reefs can recover after disasters like this...that is assuming the conditions are good...i just hope i am wrong and the corals will recover in time...

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I hear ya Bruce!!!!I'm on the same page as you. And in terms of forest coming back and coral reefs coming back-it is much harder for the corals due to the global warming and pollution as you mentioned earlier and also the time it takes for corals to regenerate and grow(alot longer)plus many of them are not very hardy and stree easily.

10. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Coral reefs have no doubts can recover from nature disasters like storms or hurricanes, but with the pollution and global warming continuing on, they might not even survive let alone recover.

It's hard enough to fight one battle, but 3 at the same time...it's just not too promising. I hope everything do happens for a good reason.

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Man...i wish i could believe that...but the problem is...people didnt think back when pollution and such wasnt a problem...heck its human nature...if nothing bad is happening there is nothing to fix....we must save the reefs!

12. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I second that!