this is the skimmer the i made tell me what you think!!!!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by freyre, May 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. freyre

freyre Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

IM001016.jpg
    hi out off and old pool skimmer some pbc and a old cd holder ... i made my protein skimmer take a look and tell me what you think ... i am sorry i have lot off pic but i am able to put 5 the rest is in my album
    IM000996.jpg

IM000997.jpg

IM001012.jpg

IM001000.jpg

well what you think let me know dont hold back i will have it runing today i will tell you all how it go ...8);D

2. Click Here!

3. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Looks pretty clean, but Im not familiar with the pump you are using. Where is the intake and how are you introducing air?

4. freyre

IM001005.jpg

IM001006.jpg

IM001008.jpg

IM001007.jpg more pic this is how did the ploming

1 person likes this.
  5. freyre

i am using a aquaclear 780 gph but i will put it on today to see if it works good i just finish and din't want to wait to show all of you

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

is this an insump skimmer? if it is, is the paint water friendly? also i noticed on another pic, did you use metal screw clamps in the tank? if so, the will rust and add unwanted metals in your water. but very innovative on your behalf.

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

looks amazing for a DIY, cant wait to see if it works.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Wow that is really creative, and one beast of a skimmer!!! I hope it works as good as it looks!!

10. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

That looks like a really nice DIY job frey... very creative. K+

The only advice beside the metal screw/ clamps and paint/ epoxy comment would be...
    The theory is for the bubbles to carry scum/ protein to the top. By having that long tube it would put you past the top and submersed under water? Am I correct in thinking you didn't cut that shorter?
    Then, the 2nd thing you'd also want to incorporate is a way to control the input flow in an attempt not to flood your collection cup. I didn't notice a control device or air injector.

Cool idea and very creative! Let us know how it works!

11. freyre

welll averything looking good everyone i had to fine tune the skimmer like crazy because the pump is not that good it dosent have that mush power the pump only have like 750 gph i need a pump that is1400gph or more... (any donations --- HAHAHAHEHEHEHE just kiting !!!!!!!)----the skimmer is biger then i plan this skimmer with the rite pump can probably do from 100g to 500g aquarium this thing is 30'' hight by 9''wide i just hope it works as good as it looks!!!!!!!! but is skiming rite now so i will watsh it tonight and see ho s working ooooooo i olmost forgot thanks to---- (Optimist)------ you are rite girls i had to go back to put a control balve i will show you all in my next post

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

De donde eres?