This is for ppl who have odyssea lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by lunatik_69, Oct 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

This thread is for people who have Odyssea light fixtures and want to up grade their ballasts and dont know which ones to get. After reading the reviews on MD from ppl who have Odyssea fixtures, I decided to take a chance. I also bought the IceCap Quick disconnect male receptacle for IceCap elec. ballast thinking that I needed it, but turns out that I didnt.

Anyways, Im glad that I bought them......WOW what a difference they make. They start up the bulbs really fast and doesnt take as long to re-start them even after the electricity goes out, as did the stock ballasts.

They also started up the bulbs( SPS Blue Life) that the stock ballasts couldnt. Now I dont have to worry about which bulbs to buy b/c the ballasts cant fire them up. Like if that wasnt enough, they plugged right in the stock cables. There was no need to cut and splice wires to adapt the new ballasts. Over all review..........I definitely recommend them, two thumbs up! Luna

Here is the link to the ballasts;[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Hey Luna, did you have a ballast burn out? or did you just decide to upgrade them. Crabby

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Good review Luna. Very useful. K++

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Awesome heads up luna! Thank you.....

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The ballasts where fine I guess, even thou I did notice that one of the bulbs was a little purple-ish than the other one. But mostly b/c I didnt want to be limited on which bulbs to buy b/c the stock ballasts couldnt fire them up. Not to mention that the stock ballast have a bad rap. Luna

7. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

Good to hear since this is an upgrade I'm considering. Although, I believe my stock ballasts may be improved from the ones from a year ago. (I just got my unit about 3-4 weeks ago.)

-Clayton

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

Do you plan on replacing the stock bulbs now or within the year. I would recommend changing them now.

10. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

I was going to change them out before my tank finished cycling. I haven't yet (I've just started cycling). Frankly, I think the stock 15k bulbs look great so far. I edited http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/live-rock-added-today-52958.html and added pictures after I figured out how to set my camera to take pics that look pretty much like the tank looks.

At any rate, I'm sure I'll be replacing the bulbs (and possibly upgrade to the Ice Cap ballasts) within 6 months or so. I'm actually the one that clued Luna in on this upgrade, so I have a personal interest in it. The before and after pics (and side-by-side pics) I've seen in other forums show just how fantastic this upgrade can be.

11. missionsix

New bulbs are a world of difference compared to the stock.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Here are a couple of pics with the new blubs and new ballasts. Another positive effect of the new ballasts is that my PH is up to 8.11 and they have been on for only 2 hrs. Im really psyched;D. Luna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]