This is a serious problem

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by speedmazoku, Oct 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. speedmazoku

speedmazoku Astrea Snail

I think this is a serious problem. As you can see in the following pics half of my hammer coral is dead, nothing left inside that half of the skeletal. Why? I dont know. I need your help. I see that there is green algae growing along the rim of the skeletal. My uncle and i tried to remove as much as possible without damaging it. I really dont know what to do.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

It died because you have red slime 9cyano bacteria) infesting your tank./ See that fuzzy gel like red algae on the coral and on your substrate? Remove it via a siphon, limit lights, limit feeding, and add flow. Test your parameters asap.

How often do you feed your fish and corals? How much do you feed them at a time? How much flow is in the tank? How large is the tank?

4. speedmazoku

speedmazoku Astrea Snail

Yeah i just found out-.- i was a stupid noob thinking it was coralline. i feed fish about every day twice a day. I only do that, so the pellets fall to the ground for the peppermint shrimp so that they dont eat my coral. ::side story:: i put in a frogspawn and the pep shrimp tore up a small branch... next day i had to siphon that out of the water. Either its a real pep shrimp or its the other one that is not reef safe. But i think it is a pep shrimp. I havent tested water in some time. Just tested it and looked at it..........CRAP
    Ammonia=.25
    Nitrates=5.0
    pH=8.0
    Nitrites=0
    Alkalinity= around 1.6-2. low areas
    Calcium=it is ok
    Any way to get rid of Cyano bacteria? I have a Red Sea 130, 110 W have an extra koralia 1 in it. 12 hours a day 6:30-10:30 am then 2:30-10:00 pm

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

less feeding and try to remove phosphates...

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Lights should be on for about 8 hours not 12. Also, you want your lights on once a day not twice a day. Add another koralia 1 and place on other side of tank. Feed once every other day. You said pellets. I take it you are feeding them shrimp pellets? I suggest switching to mysis shrimp. Peppermint shrimp will eat polyps. Are you sure the shrimp attacked your frogspawn? Do a 5 gallon water change. Seems like overfeeding and your lights being on to long are your main problems. Fix those two things and it should help greatly. Remember, siphon out the cyanobacteria that you can. Raise your pH to 8.3 as well.

7. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

do you use tap water or RO/DI water? that could be the problem?

8. Click Here!

9. speedmazoku

speedmazoku Astrea Snail

Alright guys i have to tell you one more thing. right now i took out the sand with the big clumps of cyano and put it into a cup. I put H2O2 in the cup and its bubbling like crazy. Yes i know it will kill both good and bad bacteria. The water has turned red in the cup. Looks like a protein skimmer on the surface. And how do i remove phosphates? And yes i watched the shrimp attack my frogspawn. I think it was pregnant at the time, maybe its not a pep shrimp. Also how do i raise my pH? Sorry for all the questions, thank you everybody for your help!

One more thing.... I use well water. I have my own well. Been using it for turtle tanks and fish tank for at least 2 years so it should be safe. betta

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  10. Fujin

Fujin Feather Duster

I run my lights 12 hours a day....but on a side note use some Red Slime Remover and leave all the lights off on your tank for a couple of days and put a dark blanket over your tank then siphon all the dead stuff out. That should temporarily solve your problem, but you should really try to improve water quality as a long-term solution.

11. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

its the amn. your tank either isnt cycled or you have something rotting in there. i have a rsm 130 as well. the lights are fine for lps corals i run my lights from 11:30 to 8:00pm. also why do you have a gap in the light cycle?

oh and that tang has to go. the tank is way to small for that guy.

12. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

well water? ohh man that is probably a very bad idea most likely contains heavy metals ie copper.