this doesnt look good...

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Dingo, Jan 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

hes been pretty happy recently... (until this morning) I have him under 175w MH and i feed marine snow for him and other filter feeders once a week.

Only thing that has changed recently in the tank is an increase in flow (added a K4) Flow is not directly at him but will bounce off of rocks/glass and flow by him...

Since its my first clam, any info on why hes acting like this would be much appreciated! :)
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Guiding by the pic that you posted, it looks fine to me. If the clam looks different from when you added the PH, then re-direct the flow away from the clam.

luna

1 person likes this.
  4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I was a little concerned with the mouth being this wide... I have never seen mine, or anyone elses with this wide of a mouth

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

personally i would point the PH in a different direction. i just dont think that looks good at all. luna, are we seeing the same pic? lol that thing looks like a manhole.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

My clam did that from time to time, but if in doubt, just change the direction of the PH.

luna

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Looks fine to me also. Looks like it wants a throat culture, true, but the color looks good, it is opened up fine, mantle looks healthy.......I wouldn't be worried.....

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

alright guys, thanks for the input :)

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The mouth does look too wide open, but I've never had that type of clam, what's it a dersea? Give it a couple of days and see if it gets any better. If not, try pointing it to the light more.

1 person likes this.
  11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

My clams mouth has been pretty wide open before. It has also closed up for a short time after the mouth was open so big, then goes back to normal. Kind of weird, but it's healthy and ... happy as a clam

1 person likes this.
  12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

and luna i didnt mean any disrespect from that post. if you thought i did then my apologizes.