Thinking of making a sump

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by aquanewbie, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquanewbie

aquanewbie Astrea Snail

A few questions:

Is there any reason to use glass as opposed to acrylic?

Where can I buy acrylic?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

Glass is simple because you can just buy a ready made aquarium, get some glass cut, and silicone it in place.

Acrylic is good when you need to do a totally custom setup, but it will cost you.

Also keep in mind that silicone will not bond with acrylic like it does with glass.

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

+1. Use a ready-made glass aquarium for a sump for simplicity. I used a 30 gallon long, and siliconed some acrylic sheets to make baffles. Although silicone doesn't bond well to acrylic, it works well enough for this application.

5. aquanewbie

aquanewbie Astrea Snail

OK sounds like glass is the way to go. I figure a little 20-25 gallon should be great for a 75 gal tank, right?

I have scoured the DIY threads and have a pretty good idea of whats involved, but I do have a few questions:

1) What pump should I get? Trying to keep it under $200

2) I plan on running that new Bubble Magus NAC6 skimmer. Anything I should know as it relates to the sump?

3) Do I need a chiller?

4) What is the little device that turns the pump on and off depending on water level?