thinking of going fishless

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chum, Dec 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

i have 3 fish only tanks that have become a part time job that i really do not have time for anymore. i would like to keep my 125 gallon as a coral only system. could use some help with this decision if anyone has some input. thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Could prove difficult. As ghost feeding will still be necessary IMO. Perhaps a feeder on a timer will work.

I really struggled coloring and growing my SPS when I had one fish. I found quickly that DOCs produced by metabolism were somehow important to coral health.

I a lot of SPS keepers have been having color issues with the introduction these highly efficient filtration methods.

4. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

my wife loves yellow tangs so that may be an option. would like to have a topless tank. i use a light grate now. i do not think tangs are known jumpers.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Any fish has the potential to jump unfortunately.

Piano10 and DSC reef like this.
  6. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

true, i learned that lesson a few times.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Why not get fish that don't necessarily require feedings...like a mandarin for example.

chum likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've gotta feed my mandarin 3 times a day?? I don't think many systems can support a mandarin without supplemental feedings. Plus like kevin said, your gonna struggle to keep your corals colored.

Piano10 and chum like this.
  10. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Wow... 3 times a day? Every few months I'll buy a bottle of live pods and dump them in the tank after lights out and that's all I ever do for mine. I thought that was the norm. I've had them somewhere around 8 months and they've bonded and spawned twice. LOL are you telling me, that I finally did something that some people have difficulty with. It's a proud day for me. :)

I also concur with everyone with the health of your corals.

chum and DSC reef like this.
  11. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Pick up some simple fish and let them do their thing. Feedings every couple of days and my clowns/damsels are as happy as clams...

chum and DSC reef like this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's awesome man! I've always had to supplement there feedings. I never had luck with only pods and they never lasted more than a year. This one I've had for a little over 2 and half years feeding pods, small pellet formula one which is a favorite and has taken to LRS reef frenzy frozen food.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.