thinking of buying a bubble tip anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by bdmetalmulisha, Mar 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bdmetalmulisha

bdmetalmulisha Plankton

Hi all. I'm thinking of getting a bubble tip anemone for my fowlr tank. I have a pair of clowns I hope will pair to it.
    Just wondering how hard they are to keep and if ill need any special additives to water? Or will regular water changes and good flow keep it healthy. Thanks. Also any links to helpful info on keeping anemones would be great. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

need high powered lighting and feedings. Also are very picky about water quality sometimes. The fact that you said FOWLR more than likely means no automatically to me.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Here is a good link.

INTRODUCTION - Now karensroseanemones.net

The are one of the easiest anemones to keep, but as posted above a FOWLR usually comes with higher nitrate levels and that may be an issue. What are your nitrates running at?

And yes you are right routine water changes are really all that is needed to provide the trace elements required by this anemone, they do not need any special supplements as long as you keep up on the routine water changes.

5. bdmetalmulisha

bdmetalmulisha Plankton

My nitrates run at 10ppm usually. Phosphates I am at 0ppm. I am also running 2 x 20 watt t8 lights. Both brand new marine glo and life glo. The tank is only 1.5 feet deep, 2 feet wide. It's 30 gallon I believe.
    Would the nitrates at 10ppm harm the anemone. and is the lighting sufficient?

6. french4orlife

french4orlife Spaghetti Worm

Noo, that lighting is not sufficient. For a 30 gal, about 120watts + would be what you are aiming for with an anemone and at least t5 lights are required, t8's are nottt sufficient

7. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I was thinking of getting one too. I have 130 Watts of PC lighting and was told that it's not strong enough?
    I was told to get T5's and it would be strong enough, but the wattage is far less. Whats the deal with lighting and wattage? I don't understand.

8. Click Here!

9. french4orlife

Pc is usually not great for anemones, but what's the size of your tank? With t5ho, they put out a lotttt more light than pc, so lower wattage is usually common. A lot of people say watts per gallon isn't correct but with t5ho lights your aiming for around 5-8watts per gallon

10. chumslickjon

I have a 29 gallon.
    So I know that for a tank of this size, sounds like what the OP has too, T5's only come in 24 watt bulbs. So for the OP to be able to house a Bubble tip, he would need a fixture with at least 6 of those T5 24 watt bulbs?

11. french4orlife

Yes, that is pretty accurate, but it's much easier to buy a metal halide lighting system (1 MH bulb with usually 2- t5's) metal halides usually run about 150 watts, and is great for an anemone. Ohh and t5's do not only run in 24 watts

12. chumslickjon

Yeah, but for the length, I don't see T5's that are more than 24 Watts. 30 gallon tanks are usually 30 inches long. I'll be holding off, MH lighting is not cheap.