Thinking about upgrading to 125; advice please!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Marshall O, Jun 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Not sure why you are continuing to try to tell me this was not worth it :confused: The lights are PC (CFL's); however they will suffice just fine for now. I have all lower light corals in my 55 now, so this works for me for now. Bulbs are $15-20 each, and you can definitely still get them. My JBJ nano came with PC lighting, and I had no problem keeping SPS in there. I have since upgraded to LED's, but the point is still valid. PC's are not ideal, but they are not worthless IMO. I may end up gutting it and installing DIY LED's at some point anyways.

As far as patience goes, this is the perfect time for this as all fish are out of my 55 currently (in HT). I only had a small window. Couldn't go any bigger due to where the tank had to go. I found the right size tank, with a nice stand that goes with the furniture in the room it is in (a must for my wife of course), and local.

As far as your situation, you still said nothing about a stand. And you can't compare a rubbermaid tote to a fabricated sump/'fuge. At least I wouldn't. You can't discount that my 125 came with a pump, as the one from my 55 is not large enough and so I would have had to buy a new one. It came with all plumbing except for $20 I spent last night at HD. Came with a UV sterilizer that I will use on my QT; so that saved me $$ as well.

Can't you just say nice find, or nothing at all vs. trying to compare apples to oranges???

2. Click Here!

3. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Pretty sure I said that I wasn't saying it wasn't worth the $300..... I just think you could have gotten a better deal on a better tank/system even. Sorry I didn't see where you let the wife pick the smaller tank location I thought the spot that had the room for a 180 was on the table still.

Next time you don't want someone to doubt you or question something you say don't doubt them or run to someone else to "nail it down" if your curious.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Psshhh, Marshal my buddy got an 800g Starfire tank with everything for $50.... poorly played my friend. Way to noob it up. Plus the guy gave him a '57 vette for the trouble. Also set him up on a date with his daughter, who was Miss Alabama as well. Patience grasshopper, now you are stuck with the tank you want, a turnkey setup and a happy wife. what the heck.........

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Chris, first off, I am not taking anything personally, so hopefully you aren't either. I don't doubt there are once in a life time situations where you can get a dual overflow 125+ tank with stand, sump/'fuge, return pump, plumbing, better than PC lighting, and maybe 2 MP-40s for less than $300 the next town over at the exact time you are looking...ok maybe I do. ;D No worries man; my wife is happy and that is all that matters :p

I know; really screwed the pooch on this one! Thanks for seeing where I am coming from Alex. Happy wife; happy life! If she ok's something, you don't wait for her to change her mind ;)

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Meanwhile, cleaned out the tank today. Looks almost brand new except the overflows. No point in trying to keep all of the dead coralline off though so it will stay like that. I am going to try some Walmart 5% tint on the back and see how it looks. Then just a final leak test and I'm off and running!

Ordered another 50lbs of dry rock and 40 lbs sand from Reefrock.net. Excited to get this thing aquascaped! Then the only other thing to get are powerheads. Likely going to order 2 WP-40's.

7. ingtar_shinowa

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd... still no pics. Quit messing around.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Right!?!? 57 posts in this thread and not a single picture. :p lame

1 person likes this.
  10. ingtar_shinowa

un-subscribed..... ridiculous.

2 people like this.
  11. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Aren't you the one that suggested the 180 in the 1st place and he said he had a spot for it but it was between 2 spots and he couldn't find one for under 1400 or some ****.... I was merely pointing out that if he was patient he could have probably found a good deal (or even a better deal) on a 180 (or even larger) if he had the room. Also, I pointed out that I didn't see that his wife picked the smaller spot.... atleast I gave legitimate actual examples of deals I have seen. Sorry for trying to help someone out and tell them that if they were patient they could get something bigger and better IMO.

12. ingtar_shinowa

I agree with you Chris, I don't necessarily like the short dimensions of my 125g, but I have 2 of the tanks because ultimately the price was right, and my wife said yes lol. I also think that Marshal will be updating those lights pretty soon, but heck 300 for a tank stand and sump is pretty good in my neck of the woods , I don't know about where he lives.

In the end I just like be snarky and you know that. Its the internet, poke a little fun and ask him how is PC lights enjoyed the 20th Century lol