Thinking about upgrading to 125; advice please!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Marshall O, Jun 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am considering upgrading my 55 to a 125, and there are two used setups close to me.

One is 125 gal tank with dual overflows (not corner, but about 1' off each wall), stand, Current 72" 12 bulb T5, and sump - $350.

[STRIKE]The other is a not drilled 125 tank, with stand, same light fixture, 150lbs of LR, 200lbs sand, canister filter, heaters, and powerheads - $400.[/STRIKE]

I am leaning towards the first one, since it already has the overflows and sump, and it is located closer. Looking for your thoughts though!

Edit: Definitely going with the first, drilled tank. Hopefully picking it up this weekend! New build thread will follow...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

For a reef, everyone seems to think a sump is the way to go. You most likely won't use the canister unless you want it to be a fish only. Plus one never knows what condition the rock will be in. Just my .02.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Sorry OFK, I should have specified that I definitely drill the non-drilled one and sell the canister filter if I did get that one! Good call though :)

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am definitely leaning towards the 125 with dual overflows. The only reason to go for the other setup would be it comes with LR and sand. However this would make it that much harder to transport everything, and then keep the rock alive until I can get the 125 setup.

Is the dual overflow setup a good deal at $350?

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Hey bro, my advice is get a 180. Seriously, I have 2 125gs and I wish they were 180s SOOO bad. that extra few inches is a big seal. Its like the difference between a 55g and a 75.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am considering a 180 as well; just depends on where the wife let's me put the upgrade. 180 would fit in one spot, 125 in either ;) Either way I can't wait to at least gain 6" depth...

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

i suppose people will always say they wish they went up a little in size.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Indeed. There is a 180 tank, stand and canopy somewhat local, but for $1400, so over $1000 more for 6" :/

11. ingtar_shinowa

One thing to think about: What is the most important piece of equipment in a reef setup? Obviously the tank, but yet this is the place most people cut corners on cost. I did, and it worked out, but I've read too many used tank threads that ended i misery to do so again. Go for a 265g starfire with an external overflow box. Your new girlfriend will love it.

1 person likes this.
  12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Alex is a Pro, hence the great advice. A 125 is the 55 of big tanks, too shallow in depth to scape well. Wish my 125 was a 180 also. IMO, buy new for the DT if your in the hobby. My next reef tank will most likely be a 200 DD, starphire.