Thinking about Upgrading Tanks

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by APC, Oct 3, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hi All,

I currently have a 40 gallon hex tank. I am looking into upgrading to a 65 gallon. I am considering this for a variety of reasons. The main reason is my current tank does not have a sump. I have a hang on protein skimmer and a bunch of powerheads and a lot of live rock. I would like to have a sump in order to get all of the heaters, the skimmer, etc. out of the display tank and out of sight. I do not want to get a hang on overflow box on my 40, because of the need to constantly monitor the siphon, etc. I realize this is not that big of a deal on a day in and day out basis, but I travel for work weekly, and I am lucky to get my wife to top off the tank...there is no way she is giong to check on the status of the hang on overflow box everyday. (I am considering one of the all glass tanks that have the built in overfolws by the way). I am also looking for a little more volume so that I can support more fish, etc. With the 40, I am very limited in what I can have in there.

Anyway, here is my question. I want to move what I have into the new tank. I am going to put in a very thin sand bed on the bottom. I do not think I want to move any sand from the current tank - not sure what is trapped below the surface (nitrates, phosphates, etc). I want to move all of my live rock, all of my corals, and of course the fish and other critters. I also plan to move as much of the water as possible. The problem is I need to do this all in one day. The new tank is going to go in the same place as the old tank. So will need to drain one and fill the other in pretty short order. Assuming I do the above, do you think the new tank will cycle again? Or will this be like doing a 50% water change? I am keeping the cured rock, the same skimmer, the water, etc.

Do you all see problems with this plan?

I have a lot more questions on this process, but wanted to start with the basics.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well no matter what you do there will be some die off , you might want to use all
    Carib Sea's Arag-Alive! Used it myself this last week just a small bag on a 180 and something came up and I had to add a Hippo tang and a lawn mower bleeny and I had just added the usual yellow-tail blue damsel and all are doing just fine i out in about 80 lbs of the seafloor then a 20 lbs bag of this and it is working just fine an all are in good shape

i had never used anything in over 30 yrs to seed a bacteria colony but i was sent this to try and i did and i can say it did work..
    I think if you mixed up you new salt water and aerate it well then use as much of you old saltwater and a few cups of your old sand bed then add the old rock then animals you might just be good to go ? might want to use several air-stones to help lower any little ammonia and nitrite spikes that are almost certainly to happen though. and crank up a good skimmer also.. I think you will be fine myself.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would stay away from using the Live sand from your current set up. Your hesitation because of the trapped nitrite and ammonia is warrented. Live Sand is cool but with a well established tank with LR your sand will come alive in no time after the move. So you may want to save some money and just go with a none Live type of sand.

One piece of advise would be to ensure your holding tubs for you fish and corals are well planned. You never know your set up could take longer than you planned and your coral/Fish spend more time in the holding tanks than you planned. And Do not rush set up the new tank the best way you can even if it takes a little longer. You only can fix somethings while the tank is empty

Good luck and let us know how it went
    J

5. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Why do you have to moniter a hob overflow?