Thinking about trying to Frag my zoas, devils hand, and Green Pocillopora

Discussion in 'Frags' started by leighton1245, Jun 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

This will be my first attempt with anything under a knife coral wise. I have eagle eye zoas(50+ polyps), Red hornet zoas (15 polyps only fraging a few), devils hand (growing out of control), and a Green Pocillopora which i have no idea where to start on fraging. So I was wondering if i posted some pictures someone could advise me on where to cut eat of them for the best chance of survival. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

pics? lol

I would recommend not eating them... :D

4. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I have never fragged but I would wear gloves possible face shield and some ventilation. I know to some this might be over kill, but dead is for real. Zoas are so sweet but can mess you up. And yes my goal is to have half of my 125 full of them. Good luck.

5. leighton1245

lol that is what i get for setting behind a PC all day, my fingers move faster then my brain. Ill post them after work ;D

6. leighton1245

Thanks for the advice and that is a awesome goal. What kind of zoas?

7. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

How to frag these.

Zoas--Two ways i do it, Take the colony out of the water, get a hobby knife and cut at the base of the polyp and just cut it off as close as the base of it as possible(when doing this, make sure you wear gloves and glasses, they have nasty juices)...The second way is to just take a hammer and screw driver and chip off a small piece of rock with zoas on it(This is still something you need to do with glasses and gloves though), the only thing is about this one is that you may get more off then what you wanted too.

Devils hand-- Take it out of the water and take some scissors and cut the coral where you want it, not he base but the actual top piece. What i do is cut around in a circle to make the devils hand smaller and it doesnt look all wierd for a few months. (look up a video how to frag Devils hand on Youtube.)

The Green Poc--Just take some strong pair of scissors and cut where you want to frag it, its a little thicker SPS so it may even need bone crushers for more accurate fragging.

Hope that helps..Good luck

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I have been buying frags from reef-pets. I need to make a list and post.

10. leighton1245

THat would be cool, after mine heal they will be for sell the red hornets are my fav that i have right now.

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Zoa's were my first fragging experience & this is spot on with what I did. Definitely listen to people & have some sort of face protection. I had one squirt me. Luckily I had a pair of safety glasses on. They werent on for fragging but I was doing other things and luckily hadnt taken them off. Hard lesson learned the easy way.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Let me know when your done.. If your going to sell some them PM me. I already have pleanty of Eagle eye though.. :)