Thinking about starting a planted tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Peredhil, Jan 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

That will keep crabs, fish, snails, maybe a turtle, and other interesting critters.

I've kept lots of FW tanks and am fairly descent at SW but have never gone planted FW before.

I have a 5 gallon that has stock lighting. About every 6 months I switch out the plant I keep in there (bc it dies!). I'd like to stop doing that and have a LOT more plants in there.

Something about C02, certain bulbs, I believe is what I need to learn about. Looking for some input on this. Also, the tank is in my 4yr old's room - I am thinking the C02 part is OK there (I currently don't have any C02 equipment), but if any warnings on that, please let me know.

I went to the LFS, but they wanted me to buy a TON of equipment and drop a few hundred bucks... A. it's not worth it to me at that price and B. I am thinking they just wanted to rob my wallet.

I don't see any sticky's on planted tanks, so a general 'how-to' or link to that would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Why not a SW planted tank?

4. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

1 person likes this.
  5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Thanks, that's very useful ;D

6. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Isnt a 5 gallon too small to keep all the creatures you listed at the same time?

7. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I've always been intimated by planted tanks.I'm going to go along and watch yours and maybe build up my courage.

8. Click Here!

9. kennyc618

kennyc618 Astrea Snail

this will help!

I have a small tank as well. It looks like you have bottom feeders in your tank, and the fertilizer is being consumed prior to it getting to all of the plants. change the stock light to a coralite, which is like $15. Also there is a liquid fertilizer and liquid co2. follow directions. and you should be good. also, look at buying a hardy plant at first such as a sword plant or fern. Once you have the ducks lined up in a row, plants will grow. I say that it will cost you $40 total for a good set up, just go to petsmart or petco and buy the most hardy plants available. it will boost your confidence as having a FWPT, and step up to finicky plantlife! good luck and check out my page. it has the progression of my planted tank. Leave comments!

1 person likes this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Anubias and Java Fern will do well and need very low fertilizer levels. Seachem's Trace, Iron, Potassium and Excel will be all you need. You can use your tap water to provide nitrate and phosphate for the tank along with your animals excretions. Change 50% of the water weekly. Move up to a 13 to 18 watt CF bulb for low light plants and 2 of them for higher light needing plants. The Planted Tank forum is a good place to visit as is Aquatic Plant Central.

11. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

You should grab some endlers for that tank! They look great with plants.

12. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I definitely think 5g is too small for everything listed, especially a turtle, I would make it a small tetra or betta tank personally. (less is more)