Thinking about MH

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Va Reef, Jun 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

SO after a year with my Par38 LED bulb, im not too happy with it, and after stopping off at the LFS, i was offered a viper 150w MH for 60$ and my bulb. I'm not too familiar with MH, is this a good light/good deal?

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

over what size tank? and what k are you planing on going with?

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Biocube 14, atm it has a 20k bulb, but im thinking 14 or 12k pheonix bulb.

5. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

are you not satisfied because its not bright enough? id get a second par38 rather then pay60$ and turn in my par38 bulb. you'll notice a difference in temperature in your bc14 and room temp if you get the metal halide

6. Newreef15

yea you will defiantly need a fan to keep your tank cool with the viper. which will increase your evaporation

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Its bright enough, i just am not a fan of the cone shaped spread it has, the bases of my sps colonies never seem to get enough light, leading to bleaching. :-X A second bulb runs at 120$, so i'd rather just buy the MH.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Already have a fan which i can use, and topping off wont be a problem during summer as i am home throughout the day (mostly)

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

IMO, keep your $60 and save up and invest in a better LED system. No sense in buying used, old technology.

11. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

the viper's reflectors aren't as broad as a regular mh set up. so in a way is still a cone shape, just not as sharp, with 2 par38 you can set them on the sides aiming at the base of your corals

12. Newreef15

You can either buy it or save up for better LEDs. personally i love my HM but replacing the buld every year gets kind of annoying and when i upgrade to a larger tank I'm defiantly going to go with all LEDs. no matter what the call is yours both sides have pros and cons