Thinking about ditching the mp40

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DBOSHIBBY, Apr 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

to be honest, i was insainly excited about gettin the MP40 for my new tank, and i do hour and hours of research and i was gonna get it! so i did and im not 100% impressed with it. for a couple of reasons:

1. the flow is strong enuff to blow sand everywhere, but not strong enuff to keep cyano at bay. now i know what everyone is thinking, "you need more flow via a nother powerhead" well for 465 bucks it should be able to cover a 30 inch long lank...

2. its loud. constantly. ive fiddled with teh small minor adjustments and got it as quiet and can be, but deffinatly noticable. and its on a varible flow, so the noise it does make changes all teh time so its a constant reminder that its there, makeing noise for you.

3. I thought that the controler was going to be to poo, and it is, dont get me wrong, but for me, once i got it set to where i wanted it, i really dont change it. its just more cables tangled up in my rats nest behind teh stand.

that being said, am i going to keep it? you bet your butt im keepin it, for 465 ill keep it till it blows a hole in the glass. would i ever get a nother one? prolly not. thats just my two cents.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I just switched from 4 koralia evos to 2 MP40's, and I am totally impressed with them. But I will say, that I knew what I was getting into, as far as noise on the short pulse mode. I have witnessed and heard many MP40's on at least 8 different tanks here locally. If you really want a "wave" in your tank, then get a nano tunze wavebox. If you want variable flows at all different speeds and modes, then get another MP40. I can get a 2 and half inch wave on my 90 gallon, and insane variable flow from high speed reef crest. But there is a little noise, but to me it is worth it. I didnt have any sand issues, maybe because the tank has been up and running for over a year, and I have them set pretty high on the glass. Most noise comes from not being aligned correctly, but even set perfect, they still have to ramp up and down. And I'll say it again, it's worth it. My PE on my SPS is insane, and the growth has been noticeable as well, in just a few weeks. Having one MP40 just doesnt make sense to me, it's all about the anti-synch mode. That's the whole point I thought when getting them.

Now a different point. I have a friend who just got rid of his mp40, and went to Tunze 6095's. He is much happier with them. But, here is why. He has an Apex controller, and he can literally control his pumps modes down to the minute. They are silent, even on short pulses. And he has a 105 gallon cube tank, so all the pumps are on the back glass, so standing in front of the tank, you cant see them at all. It all comes down to preference, and sometimes we just want to switch things around to see what we like best.

Contentment in this hobby is rare....

4. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

I will add that I don't have anything in my tank, i.e. fish or coral, to see how they behave in the random flow, which I'm looking forward to. But for now, all I can do is nitpick my equipment