Thinking about ditching the mp40

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DBOSHIBBY, Apr 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

bump for ya to see if anyone else has used these or has opinions

2. Click Here!

3. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I have some Koralia Evo's on their new smartwave. Works really well. Not having 4 pumps in the tank would be nice, that is a BIG bonus with the MP's. But, I bought my controller from a user here for $60 bucks. Evo's of a could people on CL for 1/4 of original price and they work great. Good enough for my current setup.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm surprised nobody else thought of using the SmartWave with there Koralia pumps... ^

I run 3 Koralia nano 425s and a Taam Rio+ 200 on my 29g reef. Three of the pumps are on a Reef Fanatics WaveCreator; the forth pump is always on. They all run quiet and I'v never had power/start-up problems.

I have never seen (or heard) the Vortech pumps in person though I am sure they would be much more effective when using two pumps, synced/anti-synced (apposed to just one mp pump). They are pricey, but they are top-of-the line. I think that's to be expected.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Might as well tell my poor experience with Koralia's just to confuse the OP a bit ;)

I have four Koralia Evo 425's running in my set up and can't recommend them. Maybe I just purchased a bad batch, but I have to plug in/un plug them several times before I can get them running in the correct direction. Surprisingly, I also have had issues with noise.

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Sometimes my koralia 1050 runs in reverse! also at night when the powerheads are off my sixline likes to try and sleep inside of it since the casing holes are too big, i had to take it out because i was too afraid of waking up one morning to wrasse soup in my tank

7. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Contact hydor and they'll send you a part to fix it. I had two 750s keep starting in reverse and even broke one of the housing trying to get it to start correctly and they even sent one of those for free

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i'm not sure if i still have the proof of purchase, these companies seem to love asking for proof of purchase before they send any fix it parts..usually :(

10. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

you need new impeller magnets and covers. Contact hydor its kind of a pain since you can tell they don't speak English but theyll send everything for free eventually. You also dont need proof of purchase.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Hydor knows they have an issue and do not request proof of purchase for the replacement parts.

12. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Yea it took like a month for me to finally get what I needed and all I did was send them photos