Thinking about ditching the mp40

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by DBOSHIBBY, Apr 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Yeah I mean I like the pump but it seems to get a lot more hype than it deserves imo.

Sweet! Let me know what u think about it. I've read reviews and everyone seems more than happy with it.

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

fiy everyone my oceanstream 500 kit had one PH fail after about 2months, so if you do go that route make sure to fill out your warranty information!

4. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Even though they are very hypered up it still like my mp40. I appreciate not having a bunch of power heads in my tank.

5. jcJokr

jcJokr Plankton

I have the MP40's on one tank and some Koralia's on another.

MP40
    Pros: You're not getting the heat or electrical bleed off in your tank. The water flow is more spread out. Easy to replace parts.
    Cons: Over priced and bit noisier for us less for the fish.

Other power Heads
    Pros: Cheaper, A bit Quieter for us not the fish.
    Cons: Potential electrical bleeding in the tank. Concentrated flow direction. Corrosion can ruin the entire pump.

The tank with the Koralia’s had enough charge on it once that it literally shocked me (it's grounded now). But If I could afford it I would only run the MP40's. The two I have I bought used form people getting out of the hobby. I would just save your pennies and keep an eye out for a sale or used MP40 and sync the two up. I think in the long run you will be happier.

6. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I wish I would have known about these before I spent over $90 on a few koralia's that I can't connect to a wavemaker! Seems like a good deal, I'm gonna follow along and see what others say if they've tried them :)

I planned on upgrading to a single mp40 for my 75g. However buying two vortechs and a controller is out of my price range

7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

i use to have to 2 mh1100 on my tank with a controller on my tank that i swiched out for and mp10 the old pumps and controller are for sale fyi :p lol

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I definitely think Vortech lose a lot of there incredibleness when only using one. With out two working together on opposite sides of the tank I probably wouldn't be nearly as impressed. The working together doing more than just on off is the greatest advantage, imo. Well that and the super wide flow.

If I were you, I would save the $90, get the JBJ and just add it to the mp40.

10. silor

silor Sea Dragon

Just so you know and fwiw I love my jbj 1600s with wave maker.

9 months strong so far

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Why not just get a set of controllable tunzes? That way you have the quality to match the controller.

12. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I have also been having second thoughts about my Vortech. They are just too noisy and expensive. I really do like the wireless capability though, but, again, you would need more than one to use that.