Thinking about an anemone, persuade me...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Sacul1573, May 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

there are many exceptions to the rule, true lots of people that get a nem after say 8 months still could have it, but when when its your first nem you want to as yourself if your willing to take that risk. which you shouldnt be. its more than likely it will not last if you do not wait.

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i agree with this. HOWEVER. LOL..
    one trick that has worked for me, to keep the anemone away... is i placed it on a rock that i could move in case the anemone decided to move to an unwanted spot.. ( i just slightly move the rock away from that spot with the anemone attached)
    since they arent that fast, i figured i could move it to another spot before it stung something

i know that the anemone should be allowed to move wherever it feels confortable but sometimes if you move them they can find a much better spot they wanted inicially.. just IME

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

also a good way to keep it from coral is to have it on a rock in the sandbed, that way the bta is a normally rock dwelling anemone and it will have to cross the sandbed to even get near the corals. thats how most people do it

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i know, i took the risk, and i succeded.
    Honestly, sometimes in this hobby people make it harder than it actually is..
    which makes it way less enjoyable.

again, im not saying that he should go and buy the anemone right now.. Im saying that if he decides to take the risk ( which we have no power to what he wants to do).. he isnt doomed to kill the anemone, or sting all his coral.. etc etc.

again, if you want to wait, by all means please do, you will have a better chance to be successful. But if you dont, it wont be the end of the world.8)

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have kept my fair share of anemones, and the only ones that ive had die are the ones where i didnt wait long enough before introducing them into the tank. it increases the chances of failure by quite a bit, if i were you i would not reccomend doing this. you did it but you are a seasoned aquarist, he is a beginner and this is his first nem.

7. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Thanks everyone.

@Steve. Thanks for the compliments and input. Coming from you always seems to have a little more impact. One thing I have not thought out a whole lot was the moving around factor. Wouldnt like to lose a bunch of frags to a wandering nem.

@bvb-etf-luva. I'm not one to disregard the advice of seasoned veterans. I will try to avoid doing something naive... lol.

Keep going. I'd like to hear from others with successes.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would be worried about the nem taking a stroll through the tank and leaving a trail of destruction like Sherman did to the South.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I agree with Steve, I think he makes the wise argument. Perhaps you can try an alternative coral that the clown may choose to reside in. Or farther down the line set up a smaller tank with the intention of devoting it to the anemone and a clownfish pair.

Tons of post lately from individuals stressing over their anemones of one reason or another, just not worth.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i dont know if this is just me but i have had weveral bad experiences with clowns hosting coral, in some cases the corals sweeping tentacles were too much for the clown and it was left with aweful scars on its sides. and in two cases i found my clowns dead in a frogspawn and a torch. not saying this wouldnt be a better route your either risking the coral or the clown. its your choice haha

12. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Thanks all. I, too, think Steve made the best arguement. Even if I did manage to keep one alive long term, I'm always risking the inevidable roaming around, and path of damage that will ensue.

And you're right Cheryl, there have been TONS of thread with troubled 'nems. I dont want to become a statistic. ;D