Think of getting a clam any tips?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by ingtar_shinowa, Nov 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

So my LFS has two gold maximas and two purple/blue maximas for $30 a piece but they are 2-3 inches bigs. I've heard with smaller clams you need to supplement phyto and what not to feed them as they dont do as well with light alone. I don't mind the size or the price, and my wife has always wants them. I can also string purchase this into a buy of a purple plasma frag of really great size that i've always wanted (its direct from ORA still on the black plug ;-) )

Anyways, since I haven't spent alot of time researching I was wondering if you guys can outline common pitfalls or tips for success. I'm raising ALOT of SPS successfully for about 5 months so i think thats pretty much on par with clam care.

2. Click Here!

3. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a 4 Bulb T-5 TEK light over my 30 gallon and I have a little bity tiny Maxima in there all the way at the bottom.

Never feed anything but my normal fish food and the occasional Coral Frenzy or Cyclopeeze every 4 days or so and it is doing great. You can click on my link in my signature if you wanna see how small it is. It is doing just fine on the bottom and needs to extra care!

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am one of those that does not believe you need to feed a clam especially one 2-3 inches in size.

Since you are having good results with the sps the clam should be no problem other than the fact that as they get larger you will have to adjust dosing.

Inspect the base of the clam for pyramid snails. Mantel should be fully open without bleaching, and respond quickly to movement such as shadows. No gapping of the intake syphon or mantel pulling away from the shell.

5. ingtar_shinowa

Nice guys, thanks for the tips. Corailline sharp points as always!!!!! I wouldn't have thought to check for that.

Also should I get a gold and a purple for those prices?

6. Corailline

I would for sure.

Purple plasma hmmmmmmmmm;D

7. ingtar_shinowa

Lol my wife rocks, I think she'll be on board. I MIGHT have to clean up my 46bf and put on the new lights since she says I have too many corals in my 55g.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

Green lit, depending if I can drive across town tomorrow (going on 7 inches of new snow on top of ice) I'll pick them up for the LFS.

10. Corailline

You are a lucky man. Any trip to the LFS is a covert operation for me!

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing the purple plasma, a piece I have wanted. Did you see my Cali Tort, it is pretty. ;D

11. ingtar_shinowa

I in fact HAVE seen your Tort. I love it but am wary of the smooth sps like echinatas. My Suharsonoi acro looks amazing but a little too green, and my echinata is dazzling blue, so maybe I should try one again.

I'm jealous of your growth, but too lazy to dose regularly and order new bulbs or I think i'd be ok lol.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Can't wait!

Corailline, what do you mean by gaping of the intake siphon? How will it look if it is "gaped"? Do you mean like being nipped?