think it has pinched mantle

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Gexx, Feb 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

my first clam, my maxima, has what i believe to be pinched mantle. i did a 30 min freshwater dip nad am now waiting the few days to see what will happen. the reason i think it was pinched mantle is becasue it hasnt come out in a while and nothing has been bothering it. so now im waiting but i just found a nassarious snail on it.....

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is a very long FW dip. Did you burp (roll it around in the tank water while holding it to get rid of any air) the clam? Did you set the FW pH equal to your tank pH?

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

yea i did. and 30 minutes isnt very long IMO. they are out of water and in the rain for hours on end in the wild. also 30 minutes is the time that is said to be the best with tridacna clams. also i swished it in the fresh water as to get it in all the parts of the clam. i did it by the book on this one. hopefully he pulls through... i really like him. or her.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

When did you purchase the clam?

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

sounds good... but they are actually both sexes at once, the male develops first (at about three years) and the female develops second (at about 7 years) then when they release gametes it is at the same time

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i purchased it on 11-11-09.