Think I finally solved my cyano and gha!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jspicer16, Jan 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

i know this sounds odd, but i had a huge algae bloom and cyano popped up everywhere not even a week after i started using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Me being tight and buying 55 gallons worth of salt i used it all while siphoning and pulling both cyano and gha out for a long time. Tons of flow, replaced bulbs did everything i was told to get rid of the mess and nothing changed. I recently ran out of salt and on my way to IU ohio state game, i stopped in at petco and bought Instant ocean reef crystals. 3 water changes later and the cyano completly gone and gha is only in two spots and is receding. same exact water source, same exact mixing buckets and equipment. I was always suspicious of the Coral Pro salt, and now im almost positive it was my problem. By the way my rose bubble nem is probably doubled in size in about two weeks, gotta love that!

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Interesting. Maybe there are excess organics in RSCP. I haven't had any issues, but due to the way it is manufactured, it is possible. Organics, under the right circumstances, certainly may effect cyano. I don't think it is generally an issue though, so, probably the exception rather than the rule. It could also just be coincidence.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on above

batch variation is a possibility, from my research, understanding both RSCP and Reef Crystals have organics in the form of vitamins , but I do not know to what degree those vary between the respective products, or between different batches of the same product

but whatever the reason, the change seems to have benefited you/ your set up, and IMHO Reef Crystals would be my chosen brand if I was not using RSCP anyway
    always liked Reef Crystals prior to making the change to RSCP , never had any issues I could directly attribute to the RSCP and thus not wanted to revert back as yet

Steve

5. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 on the possibility of batch variance.

I can't recall who, but a member recently posted they had some issues with a batch of salt they recently purchased (although I believe it was Reef Crystals). You may want to contact the manufacturer with the batch number, if you still have the packaging that is. They might be able to tell you if anyone else had issues with that same batch.

In any case, sounds like the change you made is working so I would stick with it!

6. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

Can't believe that Idid not think of this before I read this post! I have I done everything I could think of.....until I read your post. I switched salt a few weeks back as well and it seems to have coincided with my tank problems. I am switching salt this weekend! Thanks for sharing your experience!!!;)

7. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

Just an update on this topic. My tank is still going great no cyano and no gha...Corals growing like crazy and my anemone is about size a softball full of color, all kinds almost like a rainbow!!! Let me know how it goes stammer