thining out paly colony

Discussion in 'Frags' started by crustytheclown, May 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

i got these red and green palys when i first started my 14gal biocube. they are growing crazy now, especially after upgrading to 150 watt MH. I dont want them to take over my tank. I had bought them on a chunk of LR that i glued down on the top of one of my larger bottom rocks in my tank. Well know it has spread off the piece of rock it came on. I want to try to remove this chunk of rock that i glued down and trade it.
    1. What would be the best way to do this and is there a way to get palys off of the rock?
    2. Can you pull up the mat?
    3. Are they pretty hard to get "rid" of?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

you need to wear eye protection and gloves - toxins contained in palys can make people very ill

but you can peel them off the rock in the manner you describe above , you will end up with a few drifters if you have to do it in the main tank because the rock they are on is glued

if you can break the rock away from the structure its glued to then doing the fragging in a bucket outside of the tank, will mean you do get the odd 2 or 3 polyps drifting about in your main tank when peeling the mat

Steve

4. crustytheclown

so trying to do this in the DT is a NO??? Will it harm any other corals or fish?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is possible because they will release a toxin. If you have good flow and use carbon then you can get away with doing it in DT.

6. crustytheclown

well i do run carbon and have good flow! The carbon has been running for a month or so?
    and i was planing on doing this right before a water change!

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good timing, might want to change the carbon before thinning.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

carbon, generally, only lasts 3-4 weeks really... probably needs swapped out anyway.

10. crustytheclown

nice will do!!!! Water/carbon change!

11. crustytheclown

well in order for me to get out the rock that they are attached to, i would have to take down my aqua scape. They are on the lowest larger chunk. I am not opposed to this at all. I have put alot of time and effort into my tank and dont want anything to happen to the ecosystem that i have tried so hard to preserve. If this is necessary, I will do it.

12. crustytheclown

also the Sea Chem Sea Gel that i am using says it functions for 3-4 months?