Things slowly dying?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Ashevillian, Dec 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Hey 3reefers,

So over the past few months I have had some polyps disappear, lost my huge stunner chalice, and my hammer coralis starting to detatch from its skeleton. i feel like it all started after a routine waterchange where i rearranged the aquascape and moved my mp10. i have a 29g biocube so it's hard for me to find a happy place to put my mp10 since its such a small tank. i feel almost as if the reason things are dying is because of flow rate. my devils hand is not doing well lately either, but i sometimes wonder if the devils hand is doing chemical warfare with my hammer corals.

I havent checked my levels in a while, but would high phosphates eventually kill coral?

What's so weird about this however is my frogspawn is flourishing while the other stuff in the tank is not.

I use a 3 stage ro/di filter for top offs, but i dont know for sure if it removes phosphates

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

High phosphates will kill corals eventually.

Really going to need ALK level at least.

This is the problem with nanos, it's difficult to say the least to meet or balance the needs of multiple types of corals in such a small volume of water. One thing thrives another dies a slow death is pretty normal.

What type of lighting specifically?

I would start with removing the leather, getting your values and working on them as indicated, and doing routine water changes if you're not.

An mp10 is more than enough flow in a 29 gallon for LPS, are you worried it's too much?

4. Ashevillian

Hey Corailline, thank you for replying to my post.

I am a little worried the mp10 is either too much, or not enough. I have a hard time finding a good spot and a nice setting level to keep it on, and on top of the the rockscape makes a huge difference on the current. So when I move rocks it messes the flow pattern. >,< Yes, this tank was a nice buy to get my feet wet with saltwater, but it wasnt long before I realized bigger the better.

I am in the middle of a water change right now, I will post you and my LFS owner my levels shortly.

Specifically my lighting are the Ecoxotic Panarama LED's. One Actinic Blue, One Actinic Blue/Magenta, and One 10k White/Blue. I won them during the "Ugly Sweater Contest" on 3reef a few years ago and they have been great from what I can tell, although I think MH is better from what I have seen personally

1 person likes this.
  5. Ashevillian

I just updated my main thread with some new pictures if you want to take a look. I know that doesn't tell you much and to get to the bottom of this, I'm going to have to pull out some numbers.

My updated tank thread

::) ::) It'll take me an hour or two before I get all done, I'm just distracted right now between Starcraft & Ultima online ::) ::)

6. Corailline

Well good lord man get your priorities straight. :p

I suspect it's chemistry, but I would not be surprised if it's the lighting or a combination of both. I do not know the fixture so I am only speculating.

Have you changed the membranes on the RO filter?

7. Ashevillian

Membranes are less than 6mo old? So it shouldnt be time yet to change them. I do not know why the lights would be an issue. What lighting schedule do you suggest? I always debate 8-10 hours of daylight and 10-12 hours of actinic. The LED's have done a great job for my smaller corals. I'll keep you posted shortly on my water level results

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

What should I do with the devils hand after I remove him? The kenya tree should be okay even though its a leather? I have just read here and there that the devils hand can do chemical warfare. Should I flush it? Move it to the fuge? I dont think my LFS will want it, although I can always try before flushing

10. Corailline

I quite honestly do not know enough about the lighting system to recommend a schedule. I just read some reviews on them and it was mixed (as is everything).

Hopefully someone else with 1st hand experience will chime in.

11. Corailline

After looking at your build thread I do not think the coral is large enough to impact the other corals. In my mind it was more invasive/larger in your tank. The kenya tree is fine though.
    I see some algae growth on your rock work and only a smattering of purple coralline. Both of these facts make me think water chemistry.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

There used to be a standard form to fill out for these type threads. Do we still have that around? I think it was made by pharmrjohn. Not really enough info here to tell you much.