Things I should have known or thought I did.

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Corailline, Jun 12, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Recently I have had a string of events (first hand), and other items I have read on forums that seem so basic, but I had either not thought of them or outright did not know.

1. If your display return pump is making a noise, rattle then you need to take it apart and clean it. Or clean the return pump during your routine maintenance.

I kept adjusting placement and then finally took the pump out, the rattle was a shell lodged in the intake, not related to placement or a vibration.

2. Thanks to a new member I found out your can rid your dry rock of phosphates or unseen biological matter contributing to an elevated phosphate level later. Nope did not know this.

3. The biggie. Alkalinity and pH are exclusive from each other. If you have an issue and your Alkalinity is on spot do not take for granted that a chronically low pH (7.8) might be the culprit. Test for the low end pH, after the lights have been off for hours. Basically you can have a stable alk value and still have a significant pH issue.

Correcting the pH to 8.2 24/7 (as able) made a HUGE difference in PE, reduction in algae and
    cyanobacteria growth. Inverts such as clams and anemones are much happier with a value higher
    than 8.0.

That is why I love this hobby, you never stop learning.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 PH problems are almost always atmospheric problems ime.Fresh air is good just keep in mind air is not always so fresh.
    A small ammount of silicone gease on the impeller shaft as part of your cleaning routine will also help quiet noisy pumps and prolong there life.

DSC reef and Billme like this.
  4. Corailline

Nice tip Vinny. :cool:

I think because I live in AZ, closed up house in the heat and have bricks my home is more likely to retain CO2.

In the past I have dealt with the pH, chronically low, but not as consistently has I should have. My ATO went out and my corals and anemones were just not as open and colorful, cyano broke out, algae increased. ATO fixed and after a day or two of consist Kalk dosing all is well in the neighborhood again. This is the second time with this tank I have had that occur, so I going out on a limb and contributing the outcome and results to a higher pH secondary to Kalk dosing.

Vinnyboombatz and DSC reef like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Good info! Thanks Corailline. That's the number one thing I love about this hobby is that I'm always learning and I never get bored

Corailline likes this.
  6. Corailline

My pleasure.

I love sharing my duhhhhh, smacks forehead moments. :confused:

DSC reef likes this.
  7. Corailline

Seriously, how did I miss this, Jorunna parva.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dang so cute.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I have been having an issue with my pH dropping a bit. I have also been having an issue with my SPS. So now i think maybe related. So my skimmer intake going outside might help this, yes? Any other suggestions for steadier pH? I have only been having this problem for about 2 weeks.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Intake outside and dosing/dropping kalk has solved pH problems for me. If you're doing kalk through an ATO, typically 1 teaspoon per gallon, this may need to be adjusted during winter and summer as evaporation rates change. Summer I use 4tsp per gallon due to slower Evap and winter I use 6-7 tsp per gallon.

mdbostwick likes this.
  11. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

I fixed my ph issue by running an outside line to my skimmer air intake

mdbostwick likes this.
  12. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

It stayed very steady throughout winter using Kalk in the ATO but since the warmer weather began, it has started dropping. I will hopefully get to the store tomorrow to get some tube to run the skimmer intake outside. Are there any tips anyone can give me for doing this? Anything outside to stay away from?